Trouble Bed Leveling

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by clipper99, Apr 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. clipper99

clipper99 Member

Hi,

when I manually Level the Bed, I can pull a peace of paper slightly between the Nozzle and the Bed in the left and the right handside.
    If I want to do the same in the middle of the Bed, the Nozzle touch the Bed and I can't pull any peace of Paper between the Nozzle and the Bed.

Is there something I do wrong, or I can so better?

Greetings,

Ralph

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

More information could help. What printer is this? What type of print bed?

3. clipper99

clipper99 Member

Its a BigBox with the standard Glassplate which was shipped with the printer.

4. Ephemeris

This happens. We are talking about tiny variations on the order of 0.1 mm across a large surface 300x200 mm. The gap changing is due to some combination of rod sag, bed curvature, bed levelness, rod alignment, rod straightness, and maybe a few other things. Assuming you're using the original Rumba, we need someone who knows how to get get Marlin mesh leveling working for you.

Without mesh leveling, you will have to adjust the system so the nozzle does not hit the glass anywhere within the build area. If the variations are too big this can lead to adhesion issues for layer one. (That can be somewhat compensated for by going to an extra thick layer one like 0.3 or even 0.4 mm)

5. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

You're using manual bed levelling?
    Did you change any fw settings?

6. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

Also: make sure your bed is on the same position on both lead screws, what I do is place an empty jar on the bottom as centred as I can and move the bed down until both motors make a clicking sound and then rehome

7. clipper99

clipper99 Member

No, I didn't change anything on the FW

8. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

Alright, if you'd like I could make the necessary modifications to the fw for assisted(semi manual) mesh bed levelling(you use a piece of paper on several points and adjust the height on screen) and send you a compiled version ready to flash?

I am at school rn but going home in about an hour

9. clipper99

clipper99 Member

Sounds great, bitte I'm afraid of crashing the Board. I haven't done that before.

Is there anything that can go wrong?
    Have you ever done that before on your Printer? ;)

10. Ephemeris

Pie forgot to ask what version of the Marlin firmware you are using. My recollection is that the shipped version was almost unusable but 1.1rc6 was pretty good and the (9 point?) mesh leveling worked pretty well

11. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

There are things that *could* go wrong but they're not likely to happen, I'll PM you when I get home

clipper99 likes this.
  12. clipper99

clipper99 Member

The printer ist one of the first batches from the Kickstarter campaign and I didn't change anything on the FW, so its the original.
    I also thought about upgrading, but didn't knew how it works.

13. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I suggest that you check the tightness of all the screws on the X and Y rod and bearing clamps as any looseness in these will cause the weight of the print head to twist the rods as it travels across the bed. This has been the cause of levelling issues for other users including me. It is an on-going maintenance task to occasionally check all screws for tightness, including the case screws. Just take care if you have an acrylic frame and not over tighten those screws.

14. clipper99

clipper99 Member

Ok, I'll check them.
    Thanks