Trouble with quality when using support

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by sebastiaan, May 7, 2016.

1. sebastiaan

sebastiaan Member

I've been printing several items with the big box dual that come out well. However when I use support I've got quality problems. The areas that are supported come out really rough while the areas that don't use support come out fine.

One example where the bottom rounded part had support added where the unsupported part came out fine.

Another item that has several issues is this one.

I'm using S3D for generating the gcode and the support. I've been printing with Colorfabb PLA at 200 degrees with bed at 60 and fan at 25%. Nozzle is 0.4 and layer height 0.1mm. Anyone got any tips on how to improve the print quality?

2. EpicFail

EpicFail Active Member

... For Reference, what does just a simple 20mm cube look like off your printer?

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Looks like if you have two issues: you are either over extruding or overheating, or both. When doing very small prints you have to tell the slicer to lower the print speed (are you using S3D ?)

mike01hu likes this.
  4. sebastiaan

sebastiaan Member

Don't have it lying around anymore to take a picture but will print a new one. Here's a benchy with the same pla in a different colour I did snap a photo of.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I do use S3D. Will be turning down the heat and print speed and see how that goes.

5. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

You might want to also turn down the extrusion rate.

6. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Also, what are your supoort settings?