Trying to find a laser cutter in the UK

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Mike Ratcliffe, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mike Ratcliffe

Originally I wanted an aluminium frame but was quoted almost £600.00 for it by a company that didn't even ask what the different colors in the design represented.

I was going to have RazorLAB cut the parts but they don't have 5mm plywood (I want to compare prices between plywood and Acrylic).

A couple of lazercutting companies have got back to me claiming that you can't cut a screw hole thinner than the thickness of the material. So a 3mm screw in 5mm Acrylic would not work :/

Does anybody know a decent UK based laser cutter?

#1 Mike Ratcliffe, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    EASI3D likes this.
  2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

My reply would be the same, try looking for a local Makerspace ( often also known as a Hackspace) Only problem is the size as you would need a A0 or A1 (I have not checked the dimensions :) bed size , and this is a BIG expensive cutter.

I don't understand the "screw hole" comment. There are (to my recollection from my build) not any threaded holes in the acrylic. The fittings used eliminate this.

The web link to "Makerspaces" does not include some at least of the over 100 in the UK e.g. there is one in Reading with an excellent laser cutter, I will check on a link and what size their bed is.

#3 Old_Tafr, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Mike Ratcliffe likes this.
  4. Mike Ratcliffe

I never considered using a Hackspace... great idea

I am based in Corby so Cambridge is probably my closest.

5. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Don't forget, the panels don't have to be laser cut, could be CNC machined from ply or acrylic.

For ply it maybe a better solution, laser cut wood has a charred edge that can be a pain.

The downside is that on a machined piece the slots for the tongues will have a small radius in the corners but a small file will fix that. The edge finish on the acrylic will not be as smooth either.

6. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

https://www.hackspace.org.uk

Quite a few not too far from Corby, but a bed that will take approx 56 cm * 44 cm ish (side panel) is going to be hard to find.

You will need A1 size 59 * 84 cm

A2 is too small at 42 * 59

Reading (probably too far considering the number of items to cut and the learning curve for using the cutter) have a 1000 * 600 bed cutter, a thing to check is if material can be fed into the cutter as if on a conveyor belt as this means in their case "1000 by lots"

Also possibly Nottingham? have a Hackspace with one of the "Just Add Sharks" founders as a member so they may be able to help too.

#6 Old_Tafr, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. Mike Ratcliffe

I have just been quoted £70.51 to have plywood cut and I have to admit that it sounds like a fairly good deal... or maybe I am just being lazy ;)

8. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Who was that quote from? Im looking to build another Bigbox myself as I have so many spares! £70 sounds reasonable but i have nothing to base that on (yet)

9. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fair price to me, but I also have nothing to compare it with. Its certainly in the 'tempting' range :)