Twicx's Dual E3D Direct-Drive Extruder

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by twicx, Mar 6, 2014.

1. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

cool. well i've the first one marked out, just cutting the traces now. I've also made a 1cm x 1cm square in the centre (where all 4 sections meet) that I'll use for mounting the thermistor.

2. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Looking forward to the end results.

3. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

yeah so am I! It's a bit of a pain, but the good side to it is things like the PSU and heatbed, which have been setbacks, are also things I had intended to upgrade in the future anyway, so i guess it's not so bad. I managed to get 1/2 of the bed traced, with the resistance for those two quadrants coming out at about 0.95R each, which is pretty close to my estimations. I should have no problem getting the other two quadrants done tomorrow, and I've kapton tape arriving on wednesday for the heat bed assembly.

4. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Making quick progress! Good Work!

5. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ok so good progress tonight. There's a lot going on in this image, so I gotta point things out. First and foremost, that's all the traces cut, with each quadrant measuring 0.9R. I've one side temporarily mounted, so I can check sizes etc. The plan is to put kapton on the underside of the aluminium bed (between it and the heater) and a washer via the mounting screws in between them too, cos there's a few solder points that stick up, and a washer should give enough clearance. In the very middle, there's a little cutout, 7mm x 7mm, where a new thermistor will go in too. The wiring will then come from either side of that, run along where it's shown on the cool side of the heater, and out to the board.

I'm pretty wrecked tonight, but that's some good progress I think. Nearly there!

6. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Nearly there is an understatement. I do not have the patience to do that kind of work, but you certainly do, Great Job!

7. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

That is amazing work! I am very impressed with your dedication to making your own bed.. :)

How long did it take?

8. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Thanks Josh! It took probably a total time of 5 hours, but I was just doing a half hour here and there. The way I did it was to first trace it out with a permanent marker. Next, I scored the trace with a Stanley knife, then as I traced over the scores, slightly rotate the angle of the blade to widen the cut. Each cut is about 0.5mm wide. Once that's done, it was held in place on the bed with some masking tape, and the holes were drilled. It wasn't as time consuming as I anticipated really, but I did go through a lot of blades! Stanley have these blades called Carbide blades, which are about €2 more expensive for a pack than the normal ones, but they're sharper and more durable, so they're the ones to use.

I'm hoping to give it a test over the next day or two, depending on how work goes. Its very busy at the moment, and the late night to coffee ratio is pretty high, so I don't want to rush into this if I'm exhausted and not concentrating.

All in all, for the price of it, the time to trace it out and cut it I think will be worth it. It also allows the option of sizing it exactly to the size of the bed, for people who don't have a standard size heat bed.

9. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Ok, so interesting development. I now have it wired up but not connected to the bed. Oddly enough, the total resistance measured at the two ends of the wire that would be connected to the board, is 1R. So I don't know if that's too low, or whether I'd get away with it?

Ideas before I connect it up and test it out?

10. Chavaquiah

Chavaquiah Active Member

1R is almost ideal! :)

11. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Oooh! Let the testing begin!

Yet again, thanks for the help!

12. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Hook it up but monitor it closely for a while.

13. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Ok, it's nearly 1:30am, and I'm out on site tomorrow at 9:30, so this is going to be brief.

[​IMG]
    That's it mounted, no prizes for aesthetics there! Not leveled, glass not clipped in place, but it is wired to the board.

[​IMG]
    I started at 40C, and went up in 5C increments to 50. No problems, stays at +/- 1 degree from the target temp, although from 40-45, it went to 49.6 then went down, so overshot it a little. At 50C, had a little feel of the surface, and it feels like pretty even heating.

Tomorrow, heading out after work, so Saturday is test print day.

Oh, and at this stage, yet again, I have to give a massive thanks to everyone. You all know who you are, and the result from what I can see is pretty good. Wouldn't have been able to get there that quick without all your help and advice.

14. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Great job, and it even works! I knew you could do it! Do you have any idea how many amps it is drawing?

15. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

I would imagine quite a bit if the resistance is only 1R. I think 12A at 144W maybe?

16. Chavaquiah

Chavaquiah Active Member

This time, without the magic smoke, ok? :twisted:

And I must confess I'm still a little bit in awe of the final result. It looks very professional! :)

17. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

the smoke from nearly blowing up the power supply? :lol:

I dont think it looks too bad. It could be worse, and if it works, well that's all that matters, right?

18. Chavaquiah

Chavaquiah Active Member

Yep. Sorry, couldn't resist. Mind you, I had my own share of "interesting" developments with a multimeter... :oops:

Right, except in this case it ALSO looks very good. Certainly much better than what I could have done myself.

Still on the subject of learning from (my own) past mistakes, while testing I would also keep an eye on the RAMBo connection. It should be good for up to 15A but if there is a bad connection that starts overheating, there could be problems. Make sure both power input and output for the heated bed can hold the increased current.

19. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

I would use the output of the Rambo to drive a DC-DC SSR that handles the current going to the heat bed.
    I don't like sending that much current through the Rambo.

20. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

The rumba you mean?