Two prong house.

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by KNM3D, Oct 21, 2015.

1. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

so im in the US.

im trying to setup my desktop and my 3d printers (and when I get it, my bigbox)
    but I only have two prong outlets and the casings are not metal, so there is no way to run a ground.
    where im setting it up is in my basement.

is this a big issue.

let me know if im not making sense.
    im in a rental so I cant run new line.
    and the landlord I don't think will have an electrician run me new lines.

thankyou,
    Ryan.

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Your outlet must have a ground (even if only 2 prong) if the wiring is remotely modern (and by modern I mean not 1920s). If you have a multimeter and know what you are doing, check to see if the center screw of the outlet is grounded (go hot to ground it should register 120v). If that is true than a 2->3 prong adapter with the ground attached to the center faceplate screw is OK. It is possible that it uses super old fashioned 2-wire cabling before BX (i.e. metal jacketed) but that would be ancient. Does your bathroom have a GFCI outlet? If so then you do have grounds in your system.

3. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

no my bathrooms do not have those outlets.
    my basement outlets are not like the ones you find in you walls. they are an external draping outlet that comes down from the celling.
    ill check with a multi meter at lunch and see if any of the face plate screws are ground. I have two faceplate screws one up and one down, these outlets do not have the center screw like you are thinking. the house is from the early 50's(just as a reference note.)

ill get pics and shoot them up after lunch.

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Yikes. Your bathroom doesn't have GFCI outlets? Make sure you don't use a hairdryer near the sink!

5. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

yeah I don't think this rental is to code. ill be taking it up with my land lord