Two sub forums needed, please (README & MODS)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Steven, Jan 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Forum moderators;
    Please add the following as I believe they will help all and be quite popular-
    - README section: Sticky forum posts ad important notes from the Creator & team.
    - MOD Section: Options to improve or alter the BigBox3D; with detailed posts and instructions.

Both of the above will help bring these most valuable posts into a searchable section at the top of the forum.

-thanks

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Meh maybe one day when things get busy but I'm not sure the forums active enough as it is.

3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Yeh that's another issue caused in part by conversations being split across 3 places. This forum is obviously open to all but there are also conversations going on on a Google+ group for Backers and the kickstarter comments page.

On balance there is more activity on the Google+ group at the moment, but really most of the conversations all be moved to here in the interests of involving future purchasers later on and keeping a solid archive of build experiences, modifications etc...G+ isn't the best place for that.

4. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Strongly agree. It's impossible to search through vital information on G+. It was set up before they had this forum going so I guess that's why people are on there. Maybe it's time for the BigBox team to suspend or close the G+ group to force people over to this forum which is exponentially better.

5. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Yes, consolidation seems like a good thing. There are only a few hundred of us, so, splitting our knowledge across multiple venues seems less than ideal

6. mhe

mhe Active Member

I really wonder why G+ seems to be so popular with some 3d printing communities - there are forums now and I'd love to see E3D let G+ and the KS page die, the latter at least once all the backer deliveries have been taken care of. But in the long run it doesn't make any sense to have anything different than the forums and a wiki.

#6 mhe, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    mike01hu likes this.
  7. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Completely agree

8. theTroll527

theTroll527 Well-Known Member

Google+ is popular for the Big Box because that is what Livi did her build on, that led others to follow and now it is just kind of the defacto hangout for the community. Also Livi is typically streaming something new daily. Keeps people interested.

j.

9. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

My view is that it would be better to allow a part of the WIKI to be editable by anyone who has received a BigBox. Should just be a matter of giving permission to the relevant login. Then all sections will develop organically according to need and enthusiasm. Ultimately the information will be much better ordered than in a forum. The forum is necessary for debates and to make collective discoveries. Then best practices and validated ideas (such as would be README and MODS) are embedded in the wiki.

10. mhe

mhe Active Member

That I understand, but for me as a Rigidbot owner (which also never had forums but a pretty active G+ community), it feels like a Deja Vu as it is G+ all over again and I hate G+ with a passion.

11. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

I don't use Google+ either. In fact, I refuse to have a Google account.

12. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed that the forum needs a bit of a re-shuffle and segregation into things like:
    • Help/Support - For those needing help assembling and using their machine. Those that help others the most will be rewarded.
    • Mods, hacks, etc. - Discussion of cool things people want to do with their machines.
    • Tutorials and howtos. - Really good tutorials and guides will be rewarded, probably with store credit or free stuff)
    • Show off, cool prints etc.
    • General discussion
    Any and all suggestions to the above welcomed, it's your forum ultimately so we're keen to arrange it in the way that is most useful for you guys.

mike01hu and mhe like this.
  13. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I think that's a good start. I'm already trying to find things mentioned in G+ so I think (hope) that the sooner you put some structure then more people will start putting information here - that and of course as more people get their big boxes.

14. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, on the wiki front. Anyone can register and edit the wiki. We had to put an approval step in due to incredible amounts of spam, but all you have to do is register and we'll approve your account for editing the wiki.

Those that contribute significant useful info to the wiki will be rewarded.

I understand that it's a bit odd having both this forum and the GPlus page. However GPlus has it's place particularly with integration of hangouts and the ease of quickly posting stuff with images etc compared to a forum. It's a bit more of a quick and dirty way of getting content and discussion going, but its not really an appropriate place for long and in depth technical discussions and guidance etc in the same way that this forum is. We intend to continue both the G+ and forum, with the forum being the place where more in depth and critical discussions are had, and G+ being a quick way to post pics and have more casual chatter.

Chris Toast and Mike Kelly like this.
  15. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I don't mind there being G+ and this forum, I think if you break out all the forum categories now it might make it a bit too quiet, but a dedicated "help me!" section could be useful just to help newcomers know where to go and shout.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

We'll definitely be adding more forums here shortly. Just sort of waiting to see how people want to use the forums. Having 6 empty forums tends to look a little strange so now that there's some content that can be used to sort of fatten the forums to begin them.

17. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

I think a troubleshooting section would be the best thing right now. Allot of printers are going to be built this month and the next.

Skinny Kid likes this.
  18. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

. . . and a files area so that models can be uploaded.

Skinny Kid likes this.
  19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does it make sense to have a troubleshooting forum and a "Build help" forum or just lump them together?

20. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

In the long term probably both. In the short term I suspect they would be somewhat redundant.