U.S. Filament Source

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Steven Burns, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

in the U.S., where is a good source to buy filament that is good quality and ships fast?

I tried looking through Amazon, but Hatchbox is all sold out and eSun gets very mixed reviews.

Looking for PLA or similar.

Thoughts??

2. wfredette

wfredette Well-Known Member

I've had good results with Sainsmart PLA purchased on Amazon. Also recently bought a few rolls of FoxSmart PLA, which was charged through Amazon. It's much less expensive, and the first print I did with it turned out well.

3. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

4. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

@Steven Burns I have been using eSun and absolutely loving it. I had started with a less expensive Inland brand but I just didn't like the feel of the filament. The eSun was worth the extra $4-5 a spool. Just before I left on vacation I too ordered FoxSmart and like @wfredette I used it today and I really, really like it! At about $16 a spool (and if you purchase 5 spools shipping is free) it's definitely worth it and will be my go to PLA filament going forward. Screenshot of the FoxSmart Silver PLA:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Steven Burns

Cool. Thank you so much. It is always better to see something printed and get some positive feedback.

I'll try both and see how I like them.

Thanks again!

6. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

The key with Amazon and Hatchbox is to watch it and order as soon as the color you want becomes available.
    Where did you order FoxSmart from except from Amazon if there is a better source?

7. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

I ordered mine directly from www.thefoxsmart.com @Archania

#7 JohnEsc, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I've also had good results with the Adafruit PLA/PHA combo. Very smooth and not as glossy (really made the massive Julius Caesar bust for my daughter print nicely). In the NYC area they have same day delivery, and for the rest of us UPS ground gets it to me in Boston in 1 day typically. Also on 3DPrint Thursday (and soon Milling Monday) they have a code which gets you 10% off...

9. Archania

Milling Monday? interesting

10. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Noe and Pedro just got an Othermill into their shop for doing rapid PCB prototyping for their printed projects. Great set of videos if you don't already watch them. I learn something every week (there is a youtube channel with all of them)

11. wfredette

wfredette Well-Known Member

I ordered directly from FoxSmart, as well. Payment went through Amazon, however.

JohnEsc likes this.
  12. Steven Burns

I bought two rolls from MatterHackers to try out. I also bought four rolls of PLA from FoxSmart; Purple, Silver, Gold and Grey.

Can't wait for the Silver to show up so I can print a Millennium Falcon and a Thermal Detonator. Sensing a theme....

Thanks for filling my filament fix!!! Six rolls should last me quite a while.

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on where I can get a small amount of PEEK for some test printing? I have a project that involves buying 3" PEEK rod then milling most of it away, if I can get PEEK and a watertight print I can save serious money.

Edit: answering my own question, 3dxtech sells samples: http://www.3dxtech.com/samples/

#13 jet, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  14. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

One of my Filastruder customers makes PEEK from raw materials on his Filastruder, if you're interested drop me a line through the FIlastruder website contact page.

15. Steven Burns

I just received 4 rolls from FoxSmart (ordered direct as well @wfredette) and printed a Tree Frog in Purple PLA. You were right in that the filament is really nice and prints very well. Printed at 190/60 and had no issues at all. One of the things I like is that it has a more matte finish than some of the other PLAs that I have tried and I like it.

I also ordered Silver, Gold and Grey so I'll see how those look when done. I'll post a pic of the Frog tomorrow from my phone as it is easier than trying to import the photos to the PC and then attach.

wfredette likes this.
  16. Archania

Since I had to order stuff from Amazon, I also ordered a roll of FoxSmart grey to try them out.

17. Steven Burns

Picture of tree frog in FoxSmart Purple PLA
    image.jpeg

wfredette and JohnEsc like this.