Ultimaker 2 Titan + e3d upgrade kit... Issues with Extruder

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Anjin Meili, Mar 17, 2017.

  1. Anjin Meili

    Anjin Meili Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2017
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thought about it long and hard, read reviews both negative and positive, and decided why not... And bought the upgrade kit.

    Found it packaged beautifully. Was a little disappointed that it scavenged parts, and only comes with exactly the right number of bits. Also believe the fan retention nuts should be of the nylalock variety... But shrug.

    Fired up the printer after doing all the proper steps. First doing a factory reset, then loading the new firmware, and running the printer setup gcode file.

    Then tried to add filament.

    The stepper motor for the extruder works, but on the fast retract and forward operations makes a stead tone scream and stalls. And then during feeding, its a constant click click click of a extruder failing to feed. Yet, if I just reach my finger back there and give that exposed big gear the smallest of help... it extrudes and works just fine.

    I tore it down again, made sure the wires are good, that everything is connected right. And retesting with the old extruder motor and found that the printer controller is sending plenty of power and even under load, the old extruder motor shoves just fine.

    But the new motor with the titan, fails to run as fast or push as hard. It stalls, clicks, or worse, makes a high pitched whine that causes my dogs to scream and cry.. Makes my wife jump up and scream and shout also... and fails to print jack anything.

    Hot end works.... its the Titan feed motor thats the problem.

    Ideas? Thoughts? Fixes? Seems quite a few descriptions of similar issues, so please accept my apology if this is a repeated topic. I am anxious to get my printer back into working order!

    Cheers
    Anjin
     
  2. mburnett

    mburnett Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2017
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have the same issues. I contacted E3D support and they sent me temporary firmware that basically slowed the extruder to a crawl. They told me that their motor supplier had some issues and they sent me another motor. It does the same thing. I just haven't had time lately to work on it much but for sure it screams. I'll post a video in a while to see if yours acts the same as mine.
     
  3. mburnett

    mburnett Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2017
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0

    Here's the YouTube link. You using Bowden tube right?
     
  4. Anjin Meili

    Anjin Meili Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2017
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    yes, i am using the bowden extruder as shipped.

    i have heard nothing from e3d yet either.
     
  5. fabmasterKL

    fabmasterKL New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    To my knowledge, the Titan extruder standalone (not the bundle with hotend) does not work 100% with Ultimakers yet. Posts on MatterHackers says the same (production defect for loading/unloading 3mm filaments) - apparently a new version will address this. I actually would get one of these standalone extruder upgrades (mirrored version) for my trusty UMGo if it indeed works as advertised. I hope e3D folks can help clarify when exactly that will be.
     
  6. Antoine

    Antoine Active Member
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2017
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    10
    Unfortunately, we have discontinued the Ultimaker update, and are currently working on other exciting projects. The kit wasn't designed for the UMGo, so I can't guarantee that it will work with the supplied firmware. As soon as we have a bit of spare time we will try and fix the loading issue. We have had difficulties identifying the cause of this, and most have seem to come from the motors, which we have now replaced.
     
  7. mburnett

    mburnett Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2017
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    So you are abandoning Titan on Ultimaker? Since it doesn't work where does that leave us, your customers?
     
  8. Sören

    Sören New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2017
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have found the problem, you have to calibrate your extruder. Heres a guid:
    after you get the new value you have to change the firmware, how to do that is found here: 4.1 Firmware Changes . If you have done this, your printer should work properly. I have changed the extruder steps per mm from 837 to 418 and it works for me. After doing this open the G-Code you should run after installing the firmware in text edit and also change the mm per step to you new value. Maybe you could just run the modified g-code without changing the firmware but I am not sure.
     
    #8 Sören, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

Share This Page