Unable to extrude PLA via stepper or by hand

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by LeChuck71, Jun 5, 2014.

1. LeChuck71

LeChuck71 Member

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the 3D printing business so I tried to stay with the best known parts for my printer.
    Nothing fancy just an improved Prusa i3 most parts are ordered from the cheapest seller.

With the hotend I wanted to be on the safe side and ordered a "E3D-V5 3mm Direct 0.4 nozzle" ... and unfortunately this part is the only one that troubles me ;)

Yesterday I tried to print for the first time, start-up was fine, extruder started pushing filament and then a rattle and nothing came out. OK I stopped and remembered that some people said it should extrude if you push the PLA by hand ... which is completely impossible.

Here are some data
    E3D-V5 3mm Direct 0.4 nozzle
    Dutch White PLA 3mm 190-200°C recommended Temperature
    Temp in Repetier 200-210
    Marlin thermistor settings "5"
    PID autotune done
    Hotend assembled as shown in video
    Fan directly attached to 12V, blowing constantly on the heatsink

At the moment I am completely lost. I don't know if my temp is too high ore too low or even correct. If I heat up the hotend for some minutes and pull out the PLA its just melted a little bit a the tip, which looks far for extrude consistency or even oozing.

I tried and pressed some PLA outside close to the heater and it got kind of liquid after some seconds but I am not sure if that's a normal behavior. I enclosed some pictures of the PLA tip, hotend and nozzle. I did a "cold pull" and thats the result - temp was according to PC about 120°C

I am thankfull for any advice or help to get my hottend "oozing" ;)

Cheers
    Axel

UPDATE:
    1. After reading some posts here, I can say that if I insert the PLA into the "cold" hotend there is a very noticeable edgy/ring/obstacle to push the PLA over. I am at work so I am just guessing its where the alupart and the heatbreak meet internaly.

2. Might be the bore length as well, or even is my nozzle drilled through. I was too disapointed yesterday to make sure so I will do it tonight. Keep you updated

Attached Files:

2. LeChuck71

LeChuck71 Member

*** Problem Solved ***

As it turned out by probing with a 0.4 drillbit the hole was too short or the other side (3mm was too short)
    Anyway reducing the inner nozzle "depth" from 1.8mm!! to 0.6 and actually drilling the 0.4mm hole all the way through did the job

This thread helped a lot with solving the issue
    http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1682&start=660

Hotend is nicely printing PLA and I am happy ;)

It's a bit sad that I had to "tune" the nozzle myself but in the end it great to have my very first printer up and running

3. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Axel,

Glad you have managed to get everything working, we did have some issues with the orifice length on a batch of v5 nozzles which coupled with a few other little niggles resulted in higher pressures in the melt-chamber than we would have liked. We ironed these all out in v6.

I'm really sorry that you had to "post-process" your nozzle, that is not cool! I have credited your account with £4.50 so next time you are in our store, you can pick up a v6 nozzle on us.

Cheers,
    Josh

4. LeChuck71

LeChuck71 Member

Hello Josh,

wow great news on the v6 nozzle credit - I am def. going for it thanks alot ;)

I did test prints the almost the whole night. With cooling to ambient temp, heating up again. Max print time was close to 2h and no issues at all.

Keep up the great work

Cheers
    Axel