unable to reach 285deg for tightening

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Russell Spearing, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Russell Spearing

Hi, i have just taken delivery of an e3d v6 full kit with bowden addon 12v.

I have assembled it following the instructions on the e3d website however when i get to step 26 hot-tightening i am getting a problem. The temperature will reach 183deg and then and error occurs and the printer firmware will reboot.
    If i change the firmware setting '#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP' to 275 then the hotend will heat up to 173deg and then error and reboot.
    The error that is reported in octoprint is 'Reported error: MAXTEMP triggered, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0' so it seems as though the MAXTEMP threshold is being triggered 2deg before it reaches the actual temperature.

Is this a sign of something wrong or should I not worry about it. I have done the hot tightening at 280deg which it could reach fine and stay there without generating an error.

Many thanks

Russell

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Do you mean 183C or 283C? You said 183C but I suspect you meant 283C.

The HEATER_0_MAXTEMP is a hard limit resulting in a system fault, you should set it about 10-15C higher than your normal operational temperature, but not higher than 300C (the maximum thermistor temperature rating. This is because there will be some variation in the temperature (overshoot, oscillation) resulting in occasional excursions beyond the setpoint.

3. Russell Spearing

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes I did mean 283C so sorry for the confusion.

With respect to your answer, I suspected that was the case but thought I would check to make sure. I don't think I will be going anywhere near those high temperatures so I will leave it where it is.

The E3D V6 is now in and running and the prints I'm getting from it look really good. I now need to start testing to see how far I can increase the speed while retaining good or acceptable quality.

Thanks again