Understanding speed benefits of the Volcano

Discussion in 'Volcano' started by singhm29, Sep 11, 2015.

1. singhm29

singhm29 Member

I got the volcano because I have a large print volume (24"x24"x24") and it seemed like a no brainer for creating large prints faster.

However while trying to get a handle on settings I am wondering if I am getting all the speed benefits others are getting or if I am selling the volcano short of its capabilities. Your speed increase can occur from
    -larger layer heights
    -less perimeters
    *The actual print speed is not something that helps give you quicker print completion as when you increase nozzle size and layer height you need to slow down your overall print speed.

For example printing with a .4 nozzle, .3 layer height can be done at 70mm/s well but if you print with a 1.2 nozzle, .9 layer height 35mm/s is the highest you should theoretically go according to the equation to estimate flow. (volume/sec=layer width x layer height x speed)

From speaking with several people 30-45mm^3 is the max volume the volcanos increased meltzone can handle

speed=volume/sec/(layer width x layer height)
    =45/(1.44x.9) for a 1.2mm nozzle
    =34.7

Does this sound like its on par with what others expect from their volcano?
    Might be thinking out loud here but hopefully this helps someone else out too!

2. jhon

jhon Member

I installed a volcano last night to try and speed up some of my production prints. I printed a 20mm x 20mm x 2.4mm cube following jsc's tutorial. I have the height at 2.4mm since I'm using a .6mm layer height with a .8mm nozzle. Width is set to 1mm. Everything came out pretty close after a few adjustments to the cube settings