Unloading Filament From E3D v6

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Thorinair, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Thorinair

Thorinair Member

Hello!

My first post here. I just bought (and received) the original E3D v6 hot end. I am upgrading my Anet A8 printer with it, and making it a bowden setup. Before, when I wanted to change the filament color, I would just cut off the old filament and push it out with new one. This is now obviously out of question, as I don't want to push out and waste like half a meter of filament to get the new one in.

So, I was wondering, is there some gcode which I could use to pull the filament out of the hot end programatically? I am using OctoPrint, so I could add a convenient button for it. I was thinking something along the lines of:

Code:
    M104 S190 ;Heat up the hot end
    M109 S190 ;Wait for it to reach temperature
    G1 F1000 E-1000 ;Move filament backwards
    M104 S0 ;Cool the hot end
    While I figure that something like this could work in theory, I don't know the actual values (distance, speed) I should set, especially not to ruin the PTFE tube and/or the hot end and extruder themselves.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Your script looks sound, though E-1000 is probably overkill. Once you have the filament out of the hotend, you ought to be able to release the grip on the filament at the motor and pull it out quickly by hand, or rotating the gear. I suspect -25 is going to be sufficient for that.

3. Thorinair

Thorinair Member

Sounds good! I will try that. I haven't yet assembled my setup, but I am preparing for it bit by bit. :D