Updating RAMPS for the Titan?

Discussion in 'Titan' started by traw1234, Jul 7, 2016.

1. traw1234

traw1234 Member

So I recently added the Titan to my Prusa i3v (with the V6), though I am having some serious troubles. The extrusion is definitely off, shown by the picture below (left is from Greg's Printed Extruder, the right is the Titan). I am assuming it is a firmware problem, as there are surely some changes with the new extruder, but I'm not sure what they should be.

IMG_1771.JPG

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmmmm looks strange... Did you check your E steps per mm?

3. traw1234

traw1234 Member

On the wiki page (http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Titan_Prusai3), it said to change it to 456:
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {___,___,___,456} ;
    I did, and now when I measure out how many mm have been extruded vs what I tell it to extrude, it seems to go very slowly sometimes and very fast at other times. The most I have gotten is 50% (i.e. 50mm when I tell it to go 100mm) of what I tell it to extrude.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I don't know the Prusa i3 nor its firmware, does it use the EEPROM to save settings? If so maybe the value is loaded form there and not the default one you set in the firmware? Can you check in the LCD menus?

Did you change your motor perhaps? How many steps per revolution does it have? 50% sounds like the steps are for a 1.8° motor but you have a 0.9° motor...

5. moe9584

moe9584 Member

Hi,

At the beginning I started also with 456 steps, but this value was too high. The results look quite the same as on the picture.. I print most at the time with 100% infill and then too much plastic will be extruded. I'm using now 407.5 steps and I'm very satisfied (Titan@E3Dv6, 3mm).

Have a look in "Steps/mm" post ;)

6. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

I put a Titan on my Prusa i3 and at the same time, updated the firmware to RC6. Setting the esteps to 456 'just worked' for me. I've had no problems with it at all. I can only go with what Alex says - it looks like you may need different settings for your motor.

7. traw1234

traw1234 Member

Wow, I didn't realize such small things could make it so bad. I changed the steps to 407, and the gear on the motor had the screw blocking the path of the extruding gear, causing it to be inconsistent. Works great now, thanks.