Upgraded from v5 clone to v6 hotend, print speed sucks

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Ynothna, Jul 10, 2017.

  1. Ynothna

    Ynothna Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey everyone,

    So a couple months ago I upgraded from the E3Dv5 clone that came with the printer to the official E3Dv6 hotend with a new 0.4mm nozzle. I updated the thermistor and PID settings in the firmware (I think I got it right at least) but my print quality has been horrible since then. I made sure the filament was moving through the bowden tube properly, but I had to bump up my flow rate to 150% to get enough coming out during a print for it to turn out ok, as well as bringing my max speed down to 15mm/s for everything. If I got faster I get layers not sticking together, if I lower the flow rate I get almost non-existent infill.

    I've got it running fairly well at the low speed, but would love to get it back up to speed, or least close. Any suggestions would be a huge help!

    Thanks
     
  2. John_e3d

    John_e3d Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Which firmware are you using?

    Have you made any other hardware changes apart from the HotEnd? Is your extruder stalling or grinding at all when you try to print at higher speeds or is it just under extruding?
     
  3. Ynothna

    Ynothna Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm running Marlin 1.1.0 RC7. At first I had only replaced the extruder and started having trouble. Next I replaced all of the motors but realized my new ones have lower torque, so I put the older motor back on. When I replaced the motors I also upgraded the stepper drivers from the A4988s to DRV8825s.

    The lower torque motor did stall often but I've had no problems with the older motor, just under extruding. I will probably be taking the new ones in to replace them with higher torque versions of the same ones. I was going for the 0.9 degree step angle.

    Thanks!
     
  4. John_e3d

    John_e3d Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you've swapped one motor for another. Say, a 0.9 for a 1.8, then the latter will need double the steps per mm. It will also have a different rated current, and too much can cause problems.
     
  5. Ynothna

    Ynothna Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was very careful to get the right current in the new stepper driver for the new motor, and adjusted the steps per mm. I tested to make sure I was getting 100mm coming from the tube before getting to the extruder, so it seems to be something acting up past that point. I was finally able to bring down the extrusion multiplier to regular as long as I print really slow (it works, but not great), so I think there may be a blockage, or my temps aren't right.

    I'm out of town at the moment, but when I get back I'm going to try running the hot end a little hotter to see if that's the problem, and double check my PIDs to make sure I didn't get that wrong.
     
  6. John_e3d

    John_e3d Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Have you checked the max feed rate within the firmware configuration for your extruder?
     
  7. Ynothna

    Ynothna Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    My current settings are #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 400, 2, 25}
     
  8. John_e3d

    John_e3d Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you're still trying to use the V6 and encountering problems, increase the E feed rate to 50 or 100. If you still get jamming or under extrusion, then email support, I can sort it out quicker that way.
     
  9. Ynothna

    Ynothna Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks John, I actually recently contacted support and we've emailed a few times. I'll try increasing the E feed rate and see what happens. Thanks again!
     

Share This Page