Upgrading an Aurora Z-605S To a V6 Hot End and Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by davidbitton, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. davidbitton

davidbitton Member

I plan on upgrading my Aurora Z-605S Prusa i3 to a V6 hot end to replace the existing MK8 extruder. Do I only need to purchase the Prusa i3 Upgrade Kit, and if so, with what options? I attached a picture of the printer (all be it a promotional shot) as well as a close up of the MK8. I would also like to make use of the PT100, however my printer came with an MKS Base v1.2 control board that doesn't appear to have spare analog inputs. Is the PT100 worth the time and expense of replacing the control board? Has anyone gone through the upgrade process on a Prusa i3 (or derivative)? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. davidbitton

davidbitton Member

One other question is whether to continue direct or to convert to a Bowden setup. Has anyone done that as well?

3. fulg

fulg New Member

I cannot answer your main question but I can provide more info on the PT100 upgrade.

For me, not having to deal with fragile thermistor wires & unreliable firmware tables was worth the upgrade. If you already have a working & calibrated thermistor and do not change hotends often, I'm not sure it is worth the trouble unless you need the extra temperature range of this sensor.

I do not know the MKS Base board, but from what I can gather online, you should be able to use the A11/A12 pins (next to the endstop connectors) to power the amplifier & read the input signal. Are you using these pins for something else? As you probably know, you cannot use an analog input that has a hardware pullup attached, so the existing temperature inputs are not suitable for the PT100 amplifier.

BTW the stand-alone PT100 sensor (sold by E3D-online) comes with a connector for the hotend side to easily handle swaps. This is different than the sensor in the PT100 upgrade kit, which only has a connector on the amplifier side. Also, the PT100 version of the E3D heater block is also a bit larger than the standard heater block. This can be an issue if you have a fan shroud that goes around the heater block, you may have to redesign it to fit the new block dimensions.

Cheers,
    Ben.

4. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I am trying to upgrade a pursa style printer with a v6 (differnt extruder) and one thing is they do not mount the same. You will probably have to design a print a custom mounting bracket.

The v6 hangs a fair bit lower then the mk8.

5. davidbitton

davidbitton Member

I went ahead and ordered the upgrade kit. It says it comes with a preprinted x-carrage. We'll see how it goes.

6. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Oh cool, my pursa style uses differnt bearings so I am stuck designing.