COMPLETE UPS for BigBox

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Dr Jeep, May 30, 2016.

1. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Right one power failure later, I decided I needed a UPS on my BigBox. But of course that won't save the hotend mount from melting if it is mid print and the batteries run out.

So I've hacked together something on octoprint and plugged my APC UPS's USB control port into a spare port on the Pi (just about possible to get to it if you lift the display panel out). You could probably make other UPS's work but apc are about the easiest to get working right on Linux and therefore are my favourite.

It's a bit convoluted to set up, I'll try and figure out how to make it a plugin when I have time, but basically this uses a linux UPS control service to tell octoprint via the API to abort the print (and therefore start cooling the hot end) before your batteries go.

Seems to be working here, so give it a try and let me know how you get on, there are probably cleaner ways of doing this but it works.

http://digimatic.co.uk/articles/tips-and-tricks/linux-pain/ups-octopi-or-octoprint/

Alex9779 likes this.
  2. Dr Jeep

Forgot to add that I got the USB cable out by poking it through a gap in the big hole where the hotend cables go, again that's possible without lifting the base.

3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

For the record, the hotend mount won't melt in a power off shutdown. I did just that and temperatures inside the heatbreak peaked at 55C, measured by thermocouple.

4. Dr Jeep

Oooh that's good to know....still at least it means if I lose the power again I get a clean abort (and therefore possibly a recoverable print)