Usa?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Tripp, Feb 3, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Now HERE is a properly conductive filament that might make direct electroplating a possiblity:

http://www.3dogg.com/c-2924093/graphene-filament/

Only thing, it's a bit expensive.

However there are all sorts of zany tutorials about making graphene, so maybe we can DIY?

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Sorry just noticed this. Yeah I got it reasonably reliable using silver coated copper paint or conductive carbon paint as a base for copper then nickel. Because the copper base is new and pure there's no acid cleaning required before nickel plating. And you're right in saying it makes fine structures much stronger.

3. R Design

If you have a photo of something that you did I'd be really interested to see.

Is a "garden statue" look obligatory or is it possible to go more in the smooth / mirrored direction?

4. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I'll try, don't know if this'll work on an iPad
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The metal does have a tiny smoothing effect but surface finish is dependant on what you start with. If the base is smooth the coating will be smooth too. Since you have a model to get the volume calculation right it's easier to do the current density calculations. The issue i''ve run into with bigger things is with liquid seeping inside if the infill is low.

Haven't done many recently as the shed is too damn cold.

5. R Design

The results are really good. Most impressed!

You've certainly convinced me this is worth pursuing. Thanks for posting.

Where there is texture in these pieces it seems to add character.

I saw some guy had made an acetone / graphite paint and applied it to his ABS parts. I'd be half tempted to try vapour smoothing (to smooth AND to seal against leaks) and then apply the "solvent paint" to that with a view to getting really good adhesion (then the conductive particles are embedded in the ABS & not stuck with adhesive - maybe helpful if later bending stress). Perhaps if one is concerned about strength then bronze powder would be better than graphite?

6. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

@Kanedias do you have a write up somewhere on how you did the electroplating, your results are amazing and would love to experiment with that myself.

7. R Design