USB for both Print control and OctoPi ?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Steven, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

How can I connect BOTH my laptop for Print Control over USB (RepetierHost) and connect the OctoPi to USB? to the RUMBA ?

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Don't think thats possible. You need to swap cables for this.

I'd be interested in this my self if it is possible.

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Not possible as there is only one USB port on the RUMBA. Not sure what the benefit of doing this is either TBH... I dont think there's anything you can do to control the printer via Repetier that you can't do via OctoPrint so why not just stick with one or the other?

4. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Myself and Mike speculated various ways of doing this and we even bought the parts to make an auto switch. Neither of us ever got round to building it, the schematic is floating around on the forums or here http://digimatic.co.uk/articles/tips-and-tricks/Hardware/simple-usb2-host-switch/

If you want to be the first tester I can send you the chip you need and a carrier board to solder it to, but you'll have to be good at soldering as the chip is .5mm leg pitch :)

mike01hu likes this.
  5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

@Sarah Nicholson 's advice is good and @Dr Jeep and I have considered the auto-switching USB route but not taken it further (poor eyesight defeated my soldering, having no SMT capability!). For me, once I had the BB working reasonable well, I lost the need for alternative connection, then others' efforts with OctoPrint have pushed me away from the need for USB and I tend to use the SD card a lot as well. Your issue is more complex because you want to use Repetier for printer control (I assume you do not have S3D) and I can understand why you like it, coming from using it with the K8200, as I love it's friendly interface. But, as Sarah intimates, it may be time to concentrate on OctoPrint, fight its demons and come out smiling when you succeed and get the consistency that we achieve.

6. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

@mike01hu I do have S3D but I hate it. I've used RepetierHost before on my Prusa i3 and now on my BB-Dual. I find that with direct USB control from RepetierHost I can alter BB-dual settings on the fly. Even on Monday I was surprised I coudld do this:
    I had a very tricky print (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1686515) as the legs of this print would fall even with a brim of 12mm. So I had to leave for dinner with the family; I paused the print, raised the carriage up a few mm and cleared off the nozzle ooz.

I returned from dinner late. Went to bed. UNpaused the print in the morning. Watched the print over OctoPi camera (still powered, but not connected to the RUMBA.) When it stopped, I just called my daughter who was still home while I went to work and had her shut off the power strip.

(Granted the top did not print right due to the bed jamming up against a screwdriver I left in the tool caddy on the left side, so the Z axis motors would not lower the left side; ended up with a goop on top.)

7. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

@mike I think I can do it with solder paste and a SMD rework station. Just life getting in the way. I'll get to it one day (unless someone takes me up on my offer and beats me to it)

mike01hu likes this.
  8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I think we had this conversation before:rolleyes:. I really did not like S3D at all but I had paid the money:(, so stuck with it and have grown to accept its vices and hang on to its virtues. Their customer service is non-existent but this forum has mad up for that shortfall.