Use Titan Aqua as a Bowden extruder

Discussion in 'General' started by Ed Kirk, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Ed Kirk

Ed Kirk Member

2. Ed Kirk

Ed Kirk Member

I have been using the Titan Aqua as a Bowden extruder for a couple of weeks printing mostly airplane parts from www.3dlabprint.com with outstanding results, no flaws or blemishes, just really great prints and quieter.

Next, what to do with the water cooling kit? I converted a V6 hot end to water cooled using a Turnigy 20mm water cooling jacket from HobbyKing (no longer available but there are B20 motor water cooling jackets online, I ordered a couple) had to use my lathe to reduce the fins from 22mm to 20mm. I left the fin closest to the nozzle at 22mm to stop the water jacket from sliding down. It fits very snug with O-rings which seem to fit nicely between the pair of fins I machined to 20mm on each end, no leaks. Reduced inner fins that don't contact O-rings down to about 18mm. Working great! In my situation don't notice any improvement, just like the design.

Experimenting with water cooling kit plumbing which has more water flow then needed, a lot more. I added two 1/4 inch T's to the "in" and "out" on the water pump. One line each goes to the water jacket and the other lines go to the water cooler (basically parallel arrangement instead of in series) this way most of the water recirculates through the cooler and the rest goes to the water jacket allowing more water to be cooled. The water temperature is running about .3 degrees C above ambient.

PS I am printing with High Temp PLA from Push Plastics. Print temperatures, Black at 230, Clear at 220. Using my own build Delta with Duet WiFi board and Duet Smart Effector. I also have two CoreXY printers of my own design.

#2 Ed Kirk, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  3. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Just curious, why would you want to use a titan aqua for Bowden? The whole point of water cooling it is for direct drive, particulary in a heated enclosure. It would be a lot more cost effect to just use a regular titan for bowden.

Not trying to sound snarky, just genuinely curious.

4. Ed Kirk

Ed Kirk Member

As an extruder it’s a great design, somewhat heavy that’s why I didn’t use as a direct drive and if you are concerned about cost - then it is too expensive.

The gear mesh is perfect, there is no twisting to adjust the gears, aligns perfectly. I mounted it with the plate I used on the plastic Titan using longer screws. Since the gear alignment is perfect it is quieter and it stays aligned.

I was concerned about both bearings on the large gear being mounted in the back plate very close to each other but seems to handle the stress OK.

I’ve been printing RC airplanes which are mostly single layer walls I was occasionally getting a slight shift in the material and it wasn’t sticking. This hasn’t happened since I installed the Aqua the surfaces are very smooth, I tried clear filament which I didn’t think I would like, astonishingly great results, almost clear, very consistent. I don’t know why the extruder makes such a difference, glad I tried it, for me it is worth the cost.

I haven’t had a single jam with the airplane parts and these are very long precision prints but I get jams when printing the Benchy just after it clears the peak of the bow and starts printing just the cabin, can’t solve this one. Also if there is the slightest blob or bulge at the end the filament can not be pulled back out of the extruder I have to disconnect the bowden tube, cut the filament and pull it out through the tube.

I would hope E3D would make a simpler un-cooled metal extruder.

5. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I love E3D products, but you should look up bondtech extruders if cost hold not barrier to you, I have one in bowden configuration on my first printer, its an amazing.