User Tool-Changer Tool Designs.

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Greg Holloway, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi :)

We are putting together a Tool-Changer blog and we'd like to have a section highlighting some, if not all, of the tools you have all been designing and making.

If you have designed a tool and would like to be featured in the blog please reply to this thread with a high quality photo of the tool you have designed, along with a download link (if you haven't released it yet that's fine, you can leave out the link).

Anything is acceptable, including other manufacturers components. All we ask is that they fit and function on the Tool-Changer.

EDIT: PS, they don't have to work!

#1 Greg Holloway, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Killercds, Frostie2k and Georgia E3D like this.
  2. Amy

Amy Member

well this is just an idea, I am too lazy/broke to make one and My tool changer is a magnetic one i made myself but I thought I share anyway. I always wanted to put a resin injector in my parts. I doubt it'd actually worth but it'd be worth a try! I was thinking of making holes in my prints that'd later just before getting closed be injected with resin. maybe that'd increase the z strengh? maybe we could even fill it with plastic! Tho that'd not really need a tool changer xD

another cool thing someone else had made on another tool changer was a brass threaded nut insertion tool.

Killercds, Nibbels and Greg Holloway like this.
  3. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Injecting plastic into predefined holes made by the infill generator was an idea of a friend had in ~2018.
    We wanted to cope with problematic ABS using this "riveting technology".
    Such an infill would be awsome but generating the structure should be the task of the slicer.

However, we never tested the idea.

4. Mikee

Mikee Member

Greg Holloway likes this.
  5. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Are those parts SLS? They look very nice!

Mikee likes this.
  6. Mikee

Mikee Member

I got them made as HP Fusion Jet parts by 3D hubs. They came out really nicely. I wasn't sure about printing the bearing housings as FDM.

7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Very cool!

8. Marcus Mendenhall

I have taken a slightly different, but maybe easier strategy. I leave holes along the 'z' axis a bit bigger than the normal filament (e.g. 2.0 mm for 1.75 mm filament). Then, when the print is done, I coat filament with crazy glue, and push it into the holes. This gives a full-strength z-axis reinforcement, so the layers are pretty much impossible to tear apart. Even if layer separations starts, these columns act as a backstop to prevent the part from completely disassembling itself.

Nibbels likes this.
  9. Jason Chodakowski

I've designed, but not had cut yet (it's in the works) this tool for the mosquito. It's not so much a tool as much an extension of the original V6 "everything", it re-uses all the same printed parts including the duct - this plate puts a bowden fitting on the mosquito and the nozzle at a near approximate height to the V6.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 4.56.49 PM.png

Greg Holloway and Mikee like this.
  10. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Playing with using a tool to remove items from the print bed. This works well on my system as parts become fully detached from the bed when it full cools, allowing them to be simply swept off. Don't mind the look of the parts in the demo. It's a failed print which resulted from a Duet reset.

upload_2020-4-2_20-54-36.png

0-02-0a-6583e414a0635959f6c9d0f41be31de69d4b51a5ae9ee79120896e0b6dc37f87_b1a5e2de.jpg

Sized the holes for inserts. Here's a demo of it in action.

Attached Files:

11. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

That's cool! Also I approve of your base :)

12. Jason Chodakowski

You guys really should make a Union Jack sticker for the bottom plate

13. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Nice! @SpoonUnit, your next task is to write a conditional GCode script to sweep the ones whose prints have been cancelled into a different box.

14. Spoon Unit

LOL @dc42. That sounds like a task of fairly immense complexity given my penchant for packing. In this case, I think you'd need a tool to actually pick the items up and move to the correct box. This requires not only knowledge of the failed prints, but also knowledge of the geometry for picking, though items could be fitted with a collection sprue. But then you'd have to also fit the sprue to failed prints. There's already a little condition GCODE at play here, which says that if the tool is cold, it's not a printing tool but a plow, so don't prime. I guess some sort of towering plow could be designed which would push things left or right, as there's space for things to drop off on all sides of the bed. This sounds like an almost bottomless can of worms.

15. Spoon Unit

Here's the part studio, exported as a STEP file. Not sure how easy to wield that will be. They did rattle a lot until I took onboard the microstepping increase I saw dc42 had used. Now they don't rattle at all.

Attached Files:

16. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I won't argue with you about that!

Actually, the object model already includes a list of objects on the build plate, their XY limits, and whether each one has been cancelled or not. You can send M409 K"job.build.objects" to retrieve that list, or use a while-command to iterate over it.

17. phoenix

phoenix Member

After seeing many different designs but not finding any models I designed my own BMG nearly direct drive. It uses the standard v6 toolhead, and am really happy about the result.

Files (incl Fusion file) are here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4263120

Attached Files:

Greg Holloway and Spoon Unit like this.
  18. Spoon Unit

This reports null on 3.01-RC6. Does that simply mean that I'm not in the middle of a print, or that it's not supported no DuetWifi? Or perhaps it's not populated unless the GCODE is appropriately marked up?

19. Spoon Unit

OK. Now I'm seeing some results.

M409 F"v" K"job.build.objects"
    {"key":"job.build.objects","flags":"v","result":[{"cancelled":false,"name":"Part Studio 1 - Part 1(64).stl id:1 copy 14","x":[277.2510071,293.6820068],"y":[104.4020004,168.6840057]},{"cancelled":false,"name":"Part Studio 1 - Part 1(64).stl id:0 copy 10","x":[256.7009888,271.8680115],"y":[105.1660004,168.6849976]}]}

20. Spoon Unit

However, I'm printing 28 objects and I'm only seeing 10 in the array, even though I'm on layer 4, so all have definitely been traversed. I guess there are bound to be limits, so is 10 the limit? If so M409 F"v" K"limits" does not report it.