Using bed stand-off screws to level

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by ldaponte, Sep 3, 2016.

1. ldaponte

ldaponte Well-Known Member

I've gotten the bed fairly level using the bed stand-off screws - this was necessary to get the MBL to work otherwise the back of the bed was so low that I couldn't raise it enough. here is a photo showing each stand-off screw. My question is, is something else too far out of alignment - should I require this much difference in each corner standoff screw height? What else can I adjust to bring these closer together (I expect that is way to open-ended of a question)?

upload_2016-9-3_13-15-17.png

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Way to open-ended! There are a lot of variables here that can produce a twist in the bed and you may want to look at the Y-axis mountings, frame squareness and bed frame assembly but it is hard to be specific without being there. :(

3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Looks similar to what my screws are like, mine are generally front tight and back a bit more open.

If you have left versus right of bed out of alignment I think part of commissioning is twisting one z rod to get it as level as possible first without using the screws.

ldaponte likes this.
  4. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Yes mine is that far out as well..doesn't seem to be a problem. Left to right is correct but front to back is out and one corner is higher than the other. I wouldn't worry too much, that's what the levelling screws are for.

5. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I use a different system (old reliable springs) but normally in my case the front ones are half turn lower then the back left and the back right is half turn lower then the front ones.

Also every time I start a print I reset the position and after the last homing, while the head is in dock, I adjust the bed. Since I started this way of working I have never ever had a failed first layer. With any material.

Next is moving homing to the back left corner with some white tape, so that adjustment is to be done once and I can finally use back my pei beds.

cez likes this.