v1.1 PT100 Wiring

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by 09jkitchen, Jul 10, 2016.

1. 09jkitchen

09jkitchen Member

I'm finally at the stage with my BigBox to get all of the wiring sorted out. The only one I'm confused of so far is that it looks like the wiring on the hybrid versions is different colors than what is shown in the assembly pictures. I wired it like the picture below.

(If the image doesn't load, it's red wire closest to the text on the PT100 board)
    According the the schematic I found, this looks like the correct way, but I want to make sure before I plug it in.

2. Peter

Peter Member

Hey, that's not the right cable for the pt100. The cable is white/off white and looks like it's got inner shielding. It also has a white connector that clips into the pt100.

pt100Cable.jpg

#2 Peter, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  3. crosley

crosley Member

Mine looked like that as well. A quick search on google turned up this:
    http://e3d-online.com/V6-PT100-Sensor-Kit

It looks like e3d changed the wiring at some point, just remember to label it before you run the wiring bundle (as others have mentioned).

4. Peter

Peter Member

Yup, you're right. My bad... :oops:

I guess have a second look at the wires that clip on to the sensor in the hotend, if they are black and red then all good.

5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

As per post on interference visible on the temp graph in OctoPrint, the PT100 cable did have a shield visible and attached to the white connector, but missing from later PT100's

6. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I have the newer style PT100 cables and I have mine positioned the same way with the red cable towards the E3D text and all is working fine, so you should be good to go.

(As a minor aside, I hope the amp boards are updated at some point to match the new cables as that keyed connector makes it very difficult to plug in the non-keyed plugs that now come with them).

7. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I just took a look at mine and yes, amp board still has the keyed connector on it and the cable is using an unkeyed plug, but it wasn't difficult to fit, just firm and resulted in a solid connection that doesn't seem likely to work loose.

Would be good for it to positively latch in place I'd agree, but for anyone else just starting a build don't anticipate a problem at this stage.