v6 maximum print temperature

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by jet, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

The V6 page suggests we can go over 400C:
    "By swapping a thermistor for a thermocouple (may require additional electronics) you can reach over 400C. "

How hot can we go and for how long can we sustain that temperature? I'm looking at a filament that prints in the 390 - 430C range and have a V6/Bowden in my BigBox I can test with. Dyze sells a hotend that goes to 500, but they have no support (yet) for BigBox printers. (They have step/stl files up and making one for a BigBox should be pretty easy, IMHO.)

2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

The issue with the v6 is the thermistor/thermocouple. With the pt100 the hotend can go up to 400c, with the standard thermistor it can read 295c. I don't know if there is an officially supported or unofficially hacked together method of going over 400c but the all metal of the hotend should be able to reach 500c if there were sufficient electronics to get it there. With the pt100 which e3d sells you can hit 400c.

3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

PT100 can do more than 400C, that limitation is just because aluminum starts getting soft not long after that.

E3D sells a steel heater block, if you're in the US Filastruder has it if you email them.

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

What is the max that the pt100 can go to? With the standard aluminum and with the steel heater block? How high have you gone?

5. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Max is 600C+ for a PT100.

Aluminum gets a little squishy much past 400C, steel is good for 800C+.

Highest I've ever printed personally is 300C or so, beyond that is really PEEK/PEI which I've never had a need to print.

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

PEEK is what the customer wants, so I'm in research mode. I'm tempted to buy a second BigBox for this client and just use whatever head works. I'm quite happy with the controller/enclosure, so swapping out the head is not a big deal.