v6 nozzles

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by skupitup, May 23, 2014.

1. skupitup

skupitup New Member

I'm looking to buy a kraken, but with the new release of the v6 hot end, it pains me that the karken doesn't have a v6 version now too. Is there any word on weather or not this will happen in the future?

Mike

2. Dejay

Dejay Member

I was wondering about this too, will there be an updated version of the Kraken to include the improvements for the V6? I think the nozzles themselves are interchangeable but I'd be interested in the other improvements, especially for flexible materials.

I'm also wondering why the Kraken uses a smooth heat break to insert into the heat sink and the V5/V6 uses a screwed one?

3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

v5/v6 nozzles are indeed interchangeable. As for a v6 version of the Kraken, I'll let E3D chime in.

Kraken has smooth heatbreak so it can be leveled relative to the other 3 nozzles.

4. Dejay

Dejay Member

Oh right, because of leveling. That does make sense!

About the heatbreak and the bowden tube, the Kraken actually has the same design with the bowden tube directly connecting to the heat break, right? As I understand that is the thing that helps against the jamming. Or is it better polishing of the inside of the heat break?

It would be nice to have the V6 heat breaks with the better fixtures for the thermisters etc. They should fit I think.

5. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys,

Yes, v6 nozzles can totally be installed on The Kraken.

The success of the PTFE tubing in The Kraken was what really proved the concept and gave us the idea to make it part of v6. The aim of the lining in The Kraken is to ensure smooth passage of filament into the HeatBreak which in v5 was done by the HeatSink, whilst this is a factor for v6, it is primarily to allow for easier printing of flexibles since the filament is confined as far as possible..

From experience of printing flexible filament on a direct printer (where there is about 80mm between the hobb and the HotEnd all PTFE lined) and seeing all the buckling that happens, I would be very sceptical about the ability to print flexibles in a bowden setup.

WRT the HeatBreaks - we will certainly integrate the v6 improvements if we decide to do another revision.

6. Dejay

Dejay Member

Thanks for the info Josh! I did not know that flexible materials would not work well with a bowden tube. I thought if the tube only has a 1.8 to 2mm inner diameter, it would not be much of a problem. But it's reasonable it would be tricky.

What I actually meant so say was if the V6 heat BLOCKS would fit the kraken heat breaks?

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Yes, the blocks fit the breaks.

8. Dejay

Dejay Member

Thanks elmoret for clearing that up!

9. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

It's doable, but the blocks do stick out a bit further from the body of the cooler block. There is plenty of space for the thermistors etc, however it does mean that strain relief by tying the thermistor cables to the heater cartridge legs may not be possible.

Here are 2 (horrible) photographs of how the blocks fit in each orientation. DON'T ASSEMBLE WITH BLOCKS TOUCHING LIKE THAT!

Attached Files:

10. educa

educa Member

Josh,

If I see well then you can only mount the thermistor on only 1 side of the heater block.

So, is it possible then to mount 4 v6 blocks each 90degrees difference of eachother and so be able to mount them nicely but have of course a little more footprint?

11. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, that is how we recommend they are installed.

Attached Files: