V6 vertical direct i3 carriage stl?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by UKIan, Sep 10, 2014.

1. UKIan

UKIan Member

Hi,

I've been browsing thingiverse looking for an X carriage suitable for one or two V6 hotends. It's for a Reprap i3 aluminium frame with the guide rods oriented vertically. I haven't found one yet, so thought I'd ask the people who are probably using one.

edit: I'm using it in direct mode with a bulldog extruder if that helps.

Cheers
    Ian

2. UKIan

UKIan Member

3. evan.cleary

evan.cleary Member

did you get this up and running? any thoughts on how to dual with this? any pics?

i have the prusa i3 and am thinking of doing a dual v6 in the same fasion

4. UKIan

UKIan Member

Not exactly. I changed direction several times. I'm printing a new carriage right now for the e3d v6, but to use in a bowden configuration, and just with one initially. The new carriage is designed with enough real estate for two, and once I've got one working properly I'll try two.

I've found OpenSCAD which I thought would be a nightmare at first, but it actually makes more sense than a traditional cad package. Generally I want something that is x long with a hole x+5 along that is t mm diameter, and openSCAD is all about taking that english language description and making it into a model.

As soon as I've printed the new one, got it running, I'll put the designs up on thingiverse and post back just in case it's still of use :)

5. evan.cleary

evan.cleary Member

6. UKIan

UKIan Member

Looks good. Mine is similar but less complicated. I started with quite a large clamp area, but it just isn't necessary. I'm also using the standard e3d fan mount.

Give openscad a go. I turned to it after getting frustrated with the more drag and daw packages. Just because, if I want a screw hole at 5mm from the left, I just want somewhere to type in the number 5 :)