Very happy with print 5

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Spoon Unit, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Considering this is only print 5, so not a huge amount of tuning, I'm pleased to see a very small cat collar pendant print well and be very easy to screw together with 0.2mm layers. I printed two at the same time to also test retraction lifts for ooze control (0.5mm lift)

[​IMG]

This is the model

mike01hu, PsyVision and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. Spoon Unit

With PLA at least, I really can improve this by using first layer height at 99 and width at 101 and getting the flow rate right. Thinking of create a small 4 layer high square just for flow tuning.

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Do post your tuning exercise and how it turns out.

Tuning the first layer is a bit of a mystery to me, not least because it's not clear exactly what height the nozzle is at the end of z-offset calibration.

4. Spoon Unit

Whatever I come up with is not going to fully apply to you unfortunately as I have a dual. With the dual, there is no Z offset as you tune the bed level manually with a piece of paper.

5. R Design

In the manual it says that, as a part of the procedure to calibrate z-offset, you should "touch" the nozzle on the bed.

Since I can't see when it's touching I use a bit of paper too.

It's all very subjective though - in fact I'm guessing - and that bothers me when it comes, eventually, to the first layer.

6. Spoon Unit

Right. I have exactly the same concern. I guess it's going to be guessing for a while, and then it'll become experience, and then we'll do it while sipping tea.

7. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Nozzle calibration is the same across several different printers.

You get the nozzle a paper away from the bed, adjust the sensor and then tune the z offset.

On my Printerbot the z offset is -0.47 mm. This tells the printer that the difference between the bed surface and the sensor is .47mm which allows the sensor software to make the adjustment for a perfect first layer.

It is not always an exact science and it took me numerous tries to get at that number so that the first layer is not too squished and not too far away. Now when I print I get the perfect stick.

It does take some time so be patient.

8. Spoon Unit

There's no z-offset on the dual, so you can't configure that. If the first layer isn't right, you have to re-level the whole thing again and try different paper tension. I have plenty of patience and a realisation that this is a craft where you have to learn the ropes. This one one of those ropes.

9. R Design

This evening this is what I'm doing to calibrate Z offset.

In s3d extrusion width is currently set to 0.8mm.

The first layer extrusion width is presently set to 125% => 0.8 * 1.25 = 1mm

I take the calipers to the ooze shield and it's a ribbon 1.3mm wide, so I know I'm a little close to the bed: will ease off the Z offset a bit ( 0.05mm) for the next print.

I think this could work for wide extrusion widths that a caliper can measure well.

10. Spoon Unit

Sounds good. One thing to keep in mind is that most materials are going to behave a little different I think. Some may like, or need, a slightly squashed first layer to create enough adhesion for the print duration. I'm finding with PLA on UHU that I can have a perfect base layer with no squashing, but it's a slight struggle to do the inaccuracy of paper "feel". I don't know whether I need it fully trapped, or just barely able to move, or get it barely able to move then go up one notch. A "notch" is also challenging with the default firmware, so I really need to get that sorted.

11. R Design

Yeah, I noticed the firmware can be a bit jumpy with the intervals when rotating the dial.

Is that something we can parameter?

12. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@R Design There are two settings that have been changed in the latest version, one of which changes the direction of rotation and the other increases the value selection precision, after using it last night I can say it's a lot better!

13. R Design

@PsyVision you have the "latest version" ? Cool!

Would it be useful if we had menu options for "Go back to Ooze Bucket!" and "Wind down to bottom of Z" ?

14. Spoon Unit

I also like the idea of Goto Dump Bucket as an options. I'm quickly finding there are some standard things I want to do.

Home
    Level
    Goto Dump Bucket and Preheat PLA
    Print
    Tweak Flow (not the all in flow/speed/heat you get from the dial twiddle)

For me, those are the 4 things I'd want to see when I click the dial. Sooner or later mine's going to do precisely that.

15. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

http://amzn.com/B000BYGIR4 This is the feeler gauge they use at the Microsoft store with their Makerbot printers, my friend is a manager there. Using it you can find the exact distance between your nozzle and bed.

16. R Design