Vibration

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Spoon Unit, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Has anyone done anything to counter the vibrations of the printer? I have it sat on the foam sheets that came with the printer, then on a decent sized table. The tables shakes quite a bit, depending on the what the printer is doing. Small area infill in particular causes mass vibrations.

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I've sat mine on the foam sheet.

I'm not sure it's a great idea because the sheet contacts the entire base which essentially sets up a huge surface area for the transmission of sound and vibration.

@UlrichKliegis pointed out that good loudspeakers sit on inverted metal cones so pointy they ruin your floor.

Would that work for us? Or a sandwich involving hard rubber? Or...?

For the time being lowered max XY speed from 100mm/s to 80mm/s and this makes the Box much less of a wild animal in a cage.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I think preventing transfer of vibration to the table is one thing to address and surely pointy spikes would help there. It seems like some way to prevent vibration reaching the bed would help.

4. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Once I have everything working I was going to re-print the feet with ninja flex or semi flex or some other TPU material to replace the solid/hard feet it comes with to see if that helps at all.

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

My current printer sits on anti vibration feet, the kind you can get for washing machines etc. They don't cut out all the vibrations but definitely make quite a difference, especially when doing fast infill.

I'm in the process of making a turntable base for my BigBox so I can easily get to the back to load and unload filament, and I plan to mount similar feet to it. The base itself is made of solid oak so I'm hoping the large mass will help with the vibrations as well.

Pierce likes this.
  6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

While printing new feet sounds fun, why not just purchase a anti-vibration mat from your local office supply store. We all used to have them in offices under our dot-matrix printers and typewriters, and they still sell them. They are about 5mm of urethane foam and work quite well.

Pierce likes this.
  7. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Henry feldman My printer moves around a bit so I thought new feet would be easiest solution, will review the mats that makes a lot of sense as well!

8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

@Pierce , here is one for $15 at Amazon or here are fancier (small) mats you'd put under each foot for $7/per

Pierce likes this.
  9. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

I recently purchased some sorbothane feet for my bigbox and I have to say it has helped alot in cutting down vibration

cez likes this.
  10. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I just had a read and I must say this looks like a tidy idea :) there's quite a few in this variety. Do you have a link? Not sure what depth I should purchase

11. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

First print with NinjaFlex, just to try it.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member