Volcanic Vases

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Spoon Unit, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I've been struggling a little with the volcano 1.2mm as you may have read. What I didn't do is post the few things I posted with the volcano 1.2 that were truly awesome. Aside from all other issues you may encounter, one thing is certain; vases print beautifully with the volcano. That 1.2 mm wall is solid, looks great, and gives a really solid feel to the whole thing. Following someone else's lead, I printed the Koch Snowflake Fractal Vase:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37117

I printed this off first before I changed to the volcano, trying a couple of different settings, the switched to the volcano. From left to right here, we have volcano 1.2mm @ 0.6mm layer height, 0.4 standard nozzle at 0.4mm layer height (actually also with a daft setting of 0.6mm extrusion width), then on the right we have 0.4 standard nozzle with a 0.2mm layer

2016-03-26 12.26.08.jpg 2016-03-26 12.25.45.jpg

So, I thicker layer, even with the same wall thickness adds solidity even without adding more total material, and then the 1.2mm volcano wall just looks completely solid. It feels a good deal heavier too. By the way, I think the volcano vase on the left printed in just 23 minutes. I tried water tests, partly for fun as I knew that one in the middle had holes

2016-03-26 12.28.43.jpg

In fact, the little volcano vase held water for a long long time, and only after spending the night in a little bowl, with the vase full of water, did the liquid finally find a way through. Those walls look good for holding water, but I think the construction of the base was the issue. I've considered spraying some Games Workshop Satin Purity Seal on it; some other time ....

Happy with this, I printed one double the size, or at a full 10-% size:

2016-03-26 14.26.11.jpg 2016-03-26 14.14.06.jpg

And tested with water

2016-03-26 14.28.05.jpg

No joy. This one leaked more quickly. There was actually a fault in the build (repaired with a little heat) but even so, the base was the weakness.

I finally printed one last one at 140% height, but kept X and Y at 100%. Really nice, but unfortunately I forgot to photo it before giving it to my Mum over the weekend.

mike01hu, Pierce and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Looks very cool! I prefer the round bottom to triangle lol.

Also did you say you used a .4mm nozzle with .4 layer height? That's not recommended max height is 80% of nozzle so .32 or something layer height is better and might stop some leaks!

3. Spoon Unit

Sorry, I think I got that wrong. Now I'm wondering what precisely I did. Sorry for the confusion. A 0.4 nozzle with a 0.4 layer would have been a train wreck. I did think in the early layers that it was going to be a train wreck, having said that. Perhaps I tried 0.35. Actually, I should have the GCODE. Let me see....

First was 0.4 nozzle, 0.2 layer. Second was indeed 0.4 nozzle and 0.4 layer height with an extrusion width multiplier of 1.25. So yeah, that should have been a train wreck. Interesting. Third was 1.2 nozzle with a 1.44 extrusion width modifier and a 0.6 layer height. I think I got off the extrusion width modifier after that as I'm not really totally certain how it attempts to break the laws of physics (I'm sure it's just going to push more material).

A round bottom would probably be better balanced actually.

4. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

No worries when I first got my printer I printed at .4mm for a month before realising that wasn't right, it was alright but things did fall apart a bit easier :)

I am tempted to swap out my standard for volcano nozzle as well now, if only for the super quick prints!

5. Spoon Unit

I've been printing with the 0.6mm volcano today to see what I can achieve, and using the Benchy as the benchmark. So far, I'm happy it can print the benchy pretty well, though of course, the writing on the back is even more mushy than it already was. Aside from that though, you'd be hard pushed to spot the difference.

6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

So your saying you need to print the benchy twice as big? :)

Think it may be my next weekend project once I finish current batch of things on the list...

7. Spoon Unit

I'm beginning to wonder. Model and print equipment seem to go hand in hand up to a point. Let's say (don't really know) that the Benchy was designed with a 0.4mm nozzle in mind. Would it not make sense when going to a 0.6mm nozzle to up the dimension 50% in order to achieve the same clarity?

8. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

It was designed to be printed at 0.1mm layer height (so the sign on back works I think) but never seen anything about recommended nozzle width. I would imagine that using a circular hole to extruder makes corners less defined so that makes sense, bigger nozzle means less detailed corners and edges or something. Only one thing for it, print a large benchy and compare at some point :)

9. Spoon Unit

Yep. I fully intend to refit back to standard v6 at some point too and try some 0.25mm nozzel prints.

Pierce likes this.
  10. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I am sure that there is a smart person out there that has created an Excel sheet to calculate layer heights and widths for the...well lazy people who don't want to calculate everything out. Does anyone have that?
    Informative post by the way.

11. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

12. Spoon Unit