Volcano fanduct redesign request

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by phoenix, Jan 8, 2021.

1. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

Hello, I have a small request for help as I struggle to make one small adaptation: I have worked out a reliable 3mm toolhead using the orbiter and using a regular v6 hotend with a mount I designed (and posted ) while back.

I configured the tool with a Volcano duct, his length seemed to be matching. Turns out however that it s just too tight and ideally should be 1.5-2mm shorter.

After spending an afternoon trying to redesign the length of the volcano stl while maintaining the mounting geometry I have to admit defeat: my Fusion skills are just not up to it. would anybody on here be skilled and kind enough to help me out?

This is the file where the mouth needs to be 1.5-2mm higher: https://github.com/e3donline/ToolChanger/blob/master/V6 Tool/STLs/Volcano PCF Duct.stl

Big thank you in advance!

2. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

Hello, was your issue with trying to modify the STL? If so, I've attached the STEP file here. In my experience, STLs are notoriously difficult to modify in CAD.

Attached Files:

3. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

Hey Joe, thanks a ton - my basic approach was that I was making two planes to cut separate the model in three, wanting to erase the middle slice and then join the two back together... I kept getting an error when trying to join them back together.

Working with the STEP solved it - I must have made a rookie error in creating the solid body. If anybody is interested, I posted the shortened PCF duct on the thingiverse page of my V6 mount (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3843247)

Thanks Joe!

Joe Pomo likes this.
  4. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

Happy to help!