Volcano on CR10 S5 "E1 Heating failed"

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by JacKAsterisK, Feb 2, 2020.

1. JacKAsterisK

JacKAsterisK Member

Hey, I've been slowly upgrading my CR10 S5 and recently changed out my E3D V6 with a Volcano. The problem is now it's heating up really slow and suddenly giving me the error "E1 Heating failed". I was thinking the slowness might be because of the extra mass of the Volcano, but it being so extreme that it causes failure seems unlikely to me.

I'm sorta new to upgrading 3D printers so I apologize if I'm not providing the correct information. In case it's useful, I'm using the Bondtech DDS, which is how I got my initial V6. I've also attached some images.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Error:
    e1_heating_failed.png
    Without heatsink and enclosure:
    without_enclosure.jpg

Max temp before failure:
    max_temp_before_failure.png

2. SchmartMaker

SchmartMaker Active Member

Did you run a PID tuning of the hotend before trying to regularly heat it?

3. JacKAsterisK

JacKAsterisK Member

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea that was a thing! Unfortunately it didn't work...

I sent this command:
    Code:
    M303 E0 S200 C8

It started the autotune process but ended with this:
    Code:
    Recv:  T:83.85 /0.00 B:14.06 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
    Recv:  T:84.36 /0.00 B:14.17 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
    Recv:  T:84.87 /0.00 B:14.06 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
    Recv:  T:85.38 /0.00 B:14.11 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
    Recv:  T:85.86 /0.00 B:14.11 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
    Recv:  T:86.31 /0.00 B:14.01 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
    Recv: Error:Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0
    Recv: Error:Printer halted. kill() called!
    Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0 - Printer halted. kill() called!"
    Edit: Oh, and it also showed the same "E1 Heating failed" screen.

4. SchmartMaker

Seems like the heater isn't cutting it. Does the heater block feel much hotter than 85°C or does that seem the correct temperature?

Maybe you can briefly walk us through what steps you took to complete this upgrade?

Are the parts all original E3D?

And did you re-use your thermistor and heater cartridge or are they new? If so, what is the heater cartridge voltage and power rating? Is your printer running at the same voltage?

It's also very common to damage the fragile wires of one or both components when assembling, so I recommend to check their resistance to see if they are still good. See the following link.

https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Guide/Building+a+new+Volcano/9

As an aside, the heat break seems a little too deep in the heater block, usually the shoulder of the heat break is flush with the top surface of the heater block, at least with the V6 and Hemera. But that's not causing your problem.

JacKAsterisK likes this.
  5. JacKAsterisK

JacKAsterisK Member

You nailed it, thank you so much! I had used a different thermal cartridge that was sent to me as a replacement because I accidentally cut my genuine E3D cartridge wires too short. I just popped the old one in there and used alligator clips to test and it worked! I guess they sent me the wrong cartridge as a replacement...

Thanks for all your help and I'll be sure to fix my heat break.

SchmartMaker likes this.
  6. SchmartMaker

Hey, that's great to hear! I'm glad that I was able to provide some help. Good move to try that original cartridge.