Volcano with cura and s3d

Discussion in 'Volcano' started by Eviltoy, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Eviltoy

Eviltoy Well-Known Member

so i just setup the volcano on my i3 running a wades extruder. I have some weird behavior where when the print moves from one area to the next there is a gap before extruding again even though retraction is disabled. Am i missing a setting? Also i had to drop my multiplier down in order to get good layers

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Message RichRap on G+ as he uses Volcano a lot.

3. Eviltoy

Only problem is i dont use google + lol i keep my social media exposure low

Ephemeris likes this.
  4. GeckoBox3D

GeckoBox3D Well-Known Member

Check coast, wipe and extra restart distance.

My guess it that it is most likely the nozzle oozing before the next print move, so it needs a bit of extra restart distance. However, it may also be a retraction issue. Perhaps your retractions are missing steps and not priming the nozzle sufficiently? Try messing with retraction speed/acceleration. you could also just use extra restart distance but this may just be hiding another issue.

5. Eviltoy

Running 0 retraction and he problem persists. Apparently playing with extrusion widths is the key so im playing with that

6. Eviltoy

E3D Lite6 with Volcano 1.2mm nozzle. 1.6mm width. 0.7mm height. 1 perimeter.

I have been having a problem with gaps between the starts and ends of loops no matter what retract/speed/accel settings I was using. Not small gaps but several mm. The issue was resolved as soon as I decreased the bead height to width ratio.

Typical nozzle size ratio:
    0.3/0.45 = 75% is fine.
    0.25/0.4 = 62.5% is fine.
    0.15/0.4 = 33% is fine.

Giant nozzle size ratio:
    0.9/1.5 = 60% is crap.
    0.9/2.0 = 45% is fine.
    0.7/1.6 = 44% is fine

Got that from a google plus group not sure what bead height is i assume its layer height

7. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

In welding you talk about "running a bead" (a shimmering elongating ball of molten metal fed into and dragged out to make the strip that constitutes the weld).

I'm guessing that's where it comes from!

8. Eviltoy

Cool so better prints with lower layer heights it seems

9. Eviltoy

Still getting gaps anyone care to share their settings?

10. Eviltoy

Getting that gap in the top right and when i print other objects when the nozzle moves to other areas the gap follows so needless to say prints look good on the outside bad on the inside. I tried extra restart distance and no go

Attached Files:

11. Eviltoy

Pretty much given up on the volcano due to not being able to get the gaps away and I cant have that on parts. Will be relocated to the unuseable box for now till I have more time to play around with it

12. Eviltoy

So I am thinking I didnt quite explain this correctly. It seems that during moves between areas of the print when the extruder starts the print again there is a gap before filament starts extruding out of the hotend. I have tried disabling retraction and z lift to no avail. Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

13. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

For very large nozzle sizes your extruder needs to be able to feed at a high rate if you are using 1.75mm filament and this can cause issues but would be a problem all the time not just at restarts. You might try lowering your printing speed to allow the extruder to catch up. As I said before you could contact RichRap but via email rather than Google+; his email is on his webpage.

14. Eviltoy

15mm/s i think is quite sufficient for flow to keep up. I do not experience any adverse flow issues as this would present itself across the whole print. This specifically happens when moving between print areas as if the filament shrinks into the nozzle which it should not do.

15. Eviltoy

I need to revisit this now as i snapped a part on my work horse printer? Anyone keen to comment what they think the problem could be? Someone else had this problem and it seems its not resolved as well

16. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I had the same issue rich told me to adjust the retraction speed 36mm I think but I will have to check.

Managed to find the tweet. Retraction should be 38mm/s or slightly higher. Also make sure it's adjusted in the firmware as that is what will be adhered to. Another suggestion from RichRap was to reduce the nozzle size as well, he suggested 1mm to be 0.94mm that helped a lot with my top surface. Generally speaking define all nozzles as slightly less than they are.

#16 Syko_Symatic, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016