weird corner failure

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I have a complex large part I am printing, that I have broken into 3 parts. I have printed the other 2 flawlessly (these barely fit on the glass, clearing the edge by a few mm). Anyway, went to print the third (and largest) and it is flawless except at one corner (not near the edge) and one post. It's a pretty epic fail, with really weird geometry on the post (came out with a screw thread?). The other parts have exactly the same corner radius and printed perfectly. I printed pretty slow (45) because needed really nice quality.

Here is the slice with arrows pointing to the fail:
    [​IMG]

Here is the overview of the part:
    [​IMG]

And here is the failure:
    [​IMG]

2. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Seems to that this is a slicing error. Try to rotate the part and see if you get the same misprint.

3. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of models (downloads) slice strangely- missing layers, inverted faces, that sort of thing. I used to upload them to the netfabb server BUT I've discovered that 3DBuilder in Windows 10 does just as good a job.

If you open it in 3D Builder and it tells you there's errors you just let it auto correct them. Worth a go anyway.

Does the preview in S3D look alright or does it display the slicing error?

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Henry posted a picture of the slicer preview. I can see no slicing errors...
    Very strange issue...
    @Henry feldman have you been able to see what was happening when the printer was printing? Any strange moves?

5. Henry feldman

No sadly since I was on call at the hospital when this printed. And the time lapse is layer triggered.

6. Henry feldman

I can check it in emendo. Good idea.

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Sorry to be off-topic, but is that just using the Z-change option?

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I have seen similar with S3D due to the infill pattern causing discontinuities due to overlap not occurring. This could be due to acceleration characteristics but I have no idea as I re-sliced with Slic3r and the problem disappeared but that was in the early S3D days. I would suggest using a simple infill for this model if you can get away with it. Is this Scaffold? If so, I have no experience with the adhesion characteristics.

9. Henry feldman

Yeah. Been on night call for a week so brain is scrambled. Good I don't do anything critical like take care of patients! :rolleyes:

mike01hu likes this.
  10. Henry feldman

No, just silver PLA/PHA. The screw thread appearing on the post is the weirdest part

11. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

The screw effect is a product of the fill routine, so have a think about fill pattern and overlap.

12. Henry feldman

Just weird that it sticks out way past the post (3mm?). I'll try reslicing when I get back from skiing

mike01hu likes this.