Weird Y-axis part expansion on Z rise

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Anybody have an idea what happened here. I have printed this part in multiple sizes (I added a RPi for scale) and get this effect regardless of size (and I am not scaling it, but actually have models of different thicknesses, etc). This is printed in Nylon 910 with Wolfbite on the bed at 250/80C with full-honeycomb@60% with auto generated support. In every part once it gets to the top part (above the holes) the part seemingly expands in the Y direction but not the Y. And this is not some warp as the print head seems to track this perfectly. If you look it is expanded in both directions on the Y. I've flipped the model over and it doesn't matter, same effect with the new top. The surface is very smooth so not some weird slippage. The little bit of shmutz you see is where supports were as I haven't cleaned off the supports. For exact measurements this is 70mm high.

[​IMG]

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I have not experienced this before Henry. Have a look at the view for the prepared code in S3D to see if the effect is there as a feature of S3D (Ha ha). I would also re-export the STL to ensure that there is no issue in the mesh.

3. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I've actually seen this in 4 variants of this part (sizes). Now weirdly a bent version of the part (imagine a 30 degree bend between the 2 holes) doesn't do this... When you look at the part there is clearly a surface difference between below, in and above the holes, which I assume is either a weird internal thing (with infill?) since while visible it is totally flat to the touch.

4. Paul Winter

Paul Winter Well-Known Member

It might also be worth running the part through a different slicer as a test, and also firing the STL up to Netfabb for a check.
    I have had S3D give me some funny results on the odd part, usually where there is a major change in the geometry.
    https://jinschoi.github.io/simplify3d-docs/
    At the bottom of the tutorial it points to a slicing bug in Simplify3D that might be causing your issue?