Weird Y-Axis problem

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Warpy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Warpy

Warpy Member

Hello all,

I've finally managed to finish my BigBox yesterday, I'm excited to use it.

But I'm running into a rather weird issue and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

I first ran into the issue when I've tried printing my first print, instead of printing it would just act like it's on pause and didn't seem to do anything. I could heat the extruders and the sensors did pick up the temperature nicely though (I haven't tried extruding yet).

The weirdest problem with the Y-axis:

The Y-axis motor works for a little while and then just stops moving completely.
    It's most easily triggered by activating the auto home command, which will work just fine, but then manually moving the Y axis either through the menu or through G-codes will only work for a single movement. After that, it seems to think it's moving the Y axis, but the motor simply isn't moving anymore. The issue won't come forward every single time, sometimes it'll require moving the X-axis before retrying the Y-axis again. It seems to have a sudden reboot every time right before the issue is triggered.
    If I reboot the BigBox it'll allow me to move the Y axis again and this seems to go without issues, but after a few movements in any other direction it'll stop when going back to the Y-axis and stay stuck until the next reboot. The motor moving the Y axis does seem to make some sort of light buzz when it's set at 0, but I don't believe it's physically stuck or anything like that.

So it looks like somehow the software thinks it's moving the Y axis, but it's not actually doing/attempting this, the motor itself seems to work fine; after all, it works perfectly during auto homing right after a reboot.

Stuff I've checked:

- I've checked the wiring and it doesn't like like I've made a mistake or that something isn't properly linked, I've also verified the voltage on the motor drivers and they are all between 0.55 and 0.60.

- I've also verified it's not thinking the Y axis endstop is being hit as the test G-code displays correct results both when I push it manually and/or keep it clear.

- Something else that's notable is that once this issue appears and you try the home command again it'll time-out on the Y axis, thinking it's moving when it's not. (Manually hitting the end stop does make it continue with the X axis immediately.)

- I've also tried reflashing the Marlin firmware, but that didn't seem to change anything.

As I'm having some trouble explaining this properly I've made some videos of the issue (excuse the google photo album link, it's the easiest I could do right now) https://goo.gl/photos/c2tzmVZmmY63NM4EA

EDIT: Issue has been resolved, The responsible part was an Stepper Driver that was being short circuited by a wire around the pins. As soon as the Stepper Driver was replaced by another the X/Y axis work like a charm.

#1 Warpy, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

I think I know what might be the issue, or at least part of it.

When you turn the bigbox on the OctoPrint takes a few seconds to boot. During the first video where you run the autohome if you look at the screen the logo comes up as it is running and it doesn't complete the autohome sequence. The logo come on because Octoprint is connecting.

To begin give it a few seconds to load up and wait for the OctoPrint Connected text to come on to the LCD. Then run autohome. Try that first and let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Can you also post a photo of the electronics so I can see the wiring. specifically the endstops.

3. Warpy

Warpy Member

Good suggestion, I've tried waiting on the Octoprint, but that didn't do much, It autohomed correctly but after I couldn't move it anymore. So I'm afraid that didn't do much. (Just to be sure I've added a video of it to the rest of the videos at the google photo location, it octopi connects at around 30 seconds)

I've also made some photos of the wiring, the room is rather badly lighted at this time, so I hope the reflects aren't too bad. I've also uploaded them to the same location and included the photo that I think came out the best for the endstops.

Attached Files:

4. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Lets take octoprint out of the process. can you unplug the USB cable and the power cable to the Pi where it plugs into the Rumba. Just be careful when it comes time to plug it back in later.

can I have a full photo of all the electronics please, the endstops look ok.

5. Warpy

Warpy Member

Sure a moment, I'll give it a shot.

6. Warpy

Warpy Member

I've tried it without Octopi, no such luck. It behaves the same way. The good news is that it'll probably mean Octopi isn't responsible. (After taking the photo's I've noticed I've forgotten the power cable, I unplugged it and the result was the same, the issue still came up).

I've added several photos to the album in the hope you might find something if the pictures I include here aren't enough. Thanks for the help so far.

Attached Files:

7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Does the fan run above the electronics?

Have you tried swapping the stepper drivers around? Try changing x & y with the two extruder drivers. leave the two extruders without drivers when you test it.

8. Warpy

Warpy Member

The fan above the electronics runs.

I haven't tried swapping the stepper drives, I'll try that tomorrow I'm afraid I won't have the time to finish that properly at this time (it's nearing midnight here). I'll post as soon as I've had the chance to do so. Again thanks for the help so far

9. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Warpy I've had the same thing with the same axis, only less frequent. It happened most of the times after the startup of the BigBox. When doing an Autohome, only the X and Z axis would move, and the Y-Axis motor also did make a short buzzing / clicking sound for half a second. After switching off and on the BB the problem most of the times was solved, but during long prints the Y-axis also would stop moving for a couple of seconds, ruining my print.

As a test I replaced the Y-Axis stepper driver with a Seeed driver I had lying around and the problem was solved. And the strangest thing was, the Y-Axis motor had become very very quiet.

10. Warpy

Warpy Member

@Rob Heinzonly Thanks, that gives me good hope that the stepper drivers might be the issue, I'll try it as soon as I'm home and available.

11. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I did find I had a problem before I configured/installed octoprint where I couldn't print from SD when the Pi was connected to the Rumba USB port.

It would come up with the gcode filename but never start the print, even though all the menus indicated the job was running. Haven't tired since setting up octoprint as I always submit jobs from there.

12. Warpy

Warpy Member

Well I've changed the stepper drivers (left the old ones out and left the extrudes without any stepper driver as suggested) and it works!

I can mess around with the Y axis (and X axis) as much as I want now, but it won't get stuck anymore, auto home works all the time as well!

On closer inspection of the stepper driver of the Y-axis I've found the following (see photo):

It looks like there's a tiny metallic wire around the pins. Well, that would explain some weird behaviour I bet. I'll see if i can clean this and still use the stepper driver. The others look fine.

My thanks for the great help @Greg Holloway and for the suggestions @Rob Heinzonly , @Dr Jeep

Attached Files:

13. Warpy

Warpy Member

Update: The wire doesn't seem to be metallic, but some kind of cotten, I'll check the drivers out see if they work, but I'm probably going to order some extra just to be sure.

14. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

When you say you have changed the "stepper drivers" (this is probably my not understanding the terminology) what do you mean by that? Do you means that you changed where the cable to the Y-Axis motor is connected on the Rumba board? or ....

15. Warpy

Warpy Member

I haven't changed cabling, the stepper drivers are easiest explained as "the purple things" (in my case) on the Rumba board in the top right corner.

What I've done is pulled them out and manually switched them around.

Here's a photo of them and the faulty one still taken out.

Attached Files:

16. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Ah, My ignorance of the Rumba, each is a driver circuit on a daughter board (the one you had with wire or cotton round the terminals) .... I learn something new every day.

So the implication is that one of these driver boards is faulty. The downside is there are none spare.

I had a concern that some circuit boards could be sensitive to static (lots of static builds up when you remove the protective layer from the acrylic) and there are no instructions to ground yourself and use an anti-static strap when dealing with the Rumba or Pi, not that I remember anyway.