What filament...

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Westsidee, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Westsidee

Westsidee Well-Known Member

... do you guys use?

I'm using my 3D printers mostly for functional parts with few toys/figurines in there.

I'm thinking of ordering ValuePack of nGen/XT Colorfabb filament. But I can't find a lot of reviews about nGen yet.

Whan are you guys at E3D going to relese your Edge?

#1 Westsidee, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I like XT for functional parts. The best value is in fact a 2.2kg spool (you'll need to print two small brackets to fit it on the BB). For functional parts you don't need a lot of colours: I have only light grey.

nGen might be better for models: it's supposed to be really easy to print and to sand really well. Intend to try for just that purpose.

Richrap said that he uses a blowtorch to smooth off PETG-type filaments after sanding. Intrigued and hoping he'll reveal more about that.

Edge is imminent. Any minute now.

3. Westsidee

Westsidee Well-Known Member

I saw that RichRep have recived few kg of Edge. I hope they relese it soon.
    What extra parts do I need to use 2.2kg spools of XT on BigBox? Do they really sell 2.2kg spools? On their website they sell 0,75 or 2.2 kg spools.

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

If you download the plans for the bigbox there's a printed part called (or in a folder called ) "Production".

You need to print two of them and they replace two of the "spine" elements at the back of the Bigbox that take up too much room, space needed by the 2.2kg spools from Colorfabb, amongst others.

Westsidee likes this.