What firmware would you like to see?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Alex9779, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I want the filament from "1" to be the main so the Titan.
    I found that mounting the bowden Titan on the right side has the advantage that I do not have to take the spool off to adjust the tension...

I use avrdude on the RPi...
    I made two script, one to directly load the hex from the Jenkins server... just one line via SSH with the job name and the firmware is flashed...
    I tested the OctoPrint Addin too, just insert the link from the Jenkins, worked too... This uses also avrdude in the back...

#21 Alex9779, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That one is up already...
    Yeah "mirrored" means that the Titan on the head is fed by the left spool, the bowden Titan is mounted on the right side using spool 2.
    The "lifted" design has nothing to do with that...

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Another vote for RC6 Hybrid Dual Titan MBL - great job with developing and maintaining these.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is easy...
    That's the real work...

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's what the readme says:
    • RC6 - 23 Apr 2016
      • Completed support for CoreXY / CoreXZ in planner
      • Changes to positioning behavior
      • Various issues fixed. More details pending.
    • RC5 - 01 Apr 2016
      • Warn if compiling with older versions (<1.50) of Arduino
      • Fix various LCD menu issues
      • Add formal support for MKSv1.3 and Sainsmart (RAMPS variants)
      • Fix bugs in M104, M109, and M190
      • Fix broken M404 command
      • Fix issues with M23 and "Start SD Print"
      • More output for M111
      • Rename FILAMENT_SENSOR to FILAMENT_WIDTH_SENSOR
      • Fix SD card bugs
      • and a lot more
      • see https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases/tag/1.1.0-RC5 for details
    • RC4 - 24 Mar 2016
      • Many lingering bugs and nagging issues addressed
      • Improvements to LCD menus, CoreXY/CoreXZ, Delta, Bed Leveling, and moreā€¦
    For dual it is important that in RC3 is a bug making the second extruder move the wrong direction initally which is annoying. You can fix by extruding some value in the opposite direction then it works, but as I said it is annoying to have something in you start script which should not be there just because of a bug.

If you use Hybrid head RC6 is a must if you wanna use MBL (mesh bed leveling).

BTW RC6 has another bug with the feedrate of the first extrusion command after a tool change to the second extruder... This ruined my first dual print because of grinding. You remember Greg's purge script for tool change? You extruder 25mm at 400mm/min "G1 E25 F400". This move is not exectued with F400 for tool 1 but with F3000 because the previous feedrate for moving to the dock was F3000.
    This is fixed in RCBugFix now.
    Ok this only happens if you use my adapted version of the script because I change everything to use tool 0 for moving around the head but it is a bug...

gearmesh likes this.
  6. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

I am a bit lost here. Please correct me, what I understand from your design is the Bowden titan is installed on the right side and using spool 2 (it is not like Greg set up), therefore direct titan is using spool 1. This is nothing to do with setting the Right Nozzle to be t0, and vice versa. It just to make spool 2 to always feed t1, and vice versa. What make Right nozzle to be t0 is the software/firmware. Am I correct ?

Just curious, What happen if I mirror the head ? Do I need to lift the motor and titan on the head ? and how about the firmware ?

and thank you as always, great job !!!!

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok ok I will explain in detail... Seems a bit not so clear what I did...

"Mirrored" is just how I assembled and connected the hotends, my parts are not mirrored...
    My left hotend, the bowden, is fed from the right side and connected to HE1 on the RUMBA.
    My right hotend, the direct, is fed from the left side and connected to HE0 on the RUMBA.
    Also the temp sensor have to be connected to the correct side, left to TEMP1, right to TEMP0.

I have Titans for both hotends, but the bowden Titan is on the right side because I feed it from the right side. The tube goes to the left side of the head...

There are several thing that have to be change when doing this in the firmware.
    Hotend 0 is the default one for the firmware so all action done from the LCD are done from the perspective of hotend 0.
    So when I home my endstops are hit when the right hotend is at X0Y0.
    In Greg's version when homing hotend 0 is at X-38Y0.
    Thats why the travel range for Greg is X-38 to X300.
    Mirrored it is X0 to X338.
    (38mm is the offset of the two nozzles BTW)
    Also the Z probe offset is different.
    Because all moves are done with hotend 0 selected (at least thats what I do in my S3D profile) the coordinates for the dock are different, the safe Z home spot is different.

When printing dual and setting the tool offset if have to set "M218 T1 X-38 Y0 ; set extruder 1 offset", Greg has to set "M218 T1 X38 Y0 ; set extruder 1 offset".

In my S3D profile, as told earlier, all moves are done with T0 selected because this is failsafe. You just have to be sure you homed, then all moves are fine and the head does not crash left or right of the dock when docking. If you do moves with T1 selected then you have to be sure the offset is set correctly!

#27 Alex9779, Apr 27, 2016
    gearmesh likes this.
  8. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you very much for the detail explanation. It explains a lot to me.

9. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 : Flashing successful:) ! I used the steps you described in this thread, with the Octoprint Firmware Updater plugin. For some reason I was not able to do the upgrade via a terminal session, but the Octoprint plugin worked flawless, so I upgraded with Octoprint.

As for now, I used the Marlin.BigBox_Dual_Hybrid_Titan_MBL-RC.1.hex firmware, and Mesh leveled the bed successfully. I like the way the head is moving after a successful leveling: give a beep, autohome, and move to 30,30,0 (X,Y,Z). Exellent work :):D !

Before flashing, I did not connect to the Rumba (as you described). It was not needed, the Plugin was able to find the printer via the settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#29 Rob Heinzonly, Apr 27, 2016
    JohnEsc and Spoon Unit like this.
  10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

They improved the levelling a bit, you see which point you at and so... The 30,30 is from me... That is the safe home spot...
    Though I think they removed that the head is lifted after homing.... I do not find a setting.
    So we have to take care of that in the start script when moving to the dock after starting a print... I will included this in my start up scripts soon...

11. Richard Barbosa

Richard Barbosa Well-Known Member

@Alex9779...I'm really new to all of this but slowly getting through it all with the help of all the amazing members , like yourself, that have shared their knowledge. I currently have a BBDual w/ Octoprint running the Dual RC4 firmware and will be soon ordering the dual Hybrid upgrade kit and most likely use your lift upgrade as well. But I have 2 questions. Is RC5 firmware available for the Dual. I noticed in the Config h file of RC5, linked above, state 1 extruder so I was wondering if there is a separate RC5 for the regular Dual? And, my last question, if the Hybrid RC6 is also available for the Dual? I'm assume so because it's a Hybrid not the 1.1.....am I correct or wrong? I would greatly appreciate any information you can share.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

1.1 and Hybrid are the same to me, though it is not in reality since the 1.1 has a change case while Kickstarters have to modify the frame of use the lifted head to get not full but 297mm X...
    Currently I have only RC6 firmwares up, 1.0 dual, and all the 1.1 dual with hybrid head ABL and MLB... I thought the names of the branches are self explaining...
    It does not matte rid you have 1.1 or Kickstarter with Hybrid, for me that is Dual Hybrid...

13. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I just wanted to thank you @Alex9779 for the work you put in keeping up with all the branches.

Just flashed the RUMBA before starting on the first leveling / calibration and I'm not even sitting in the same room as the printer :D I hope to make my first print tomorrow.

Alex9779 likes this.
  14. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex. I like your work here.

15. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

4 or 5 would be great for us all that have not upgraded the hardware from the V1 pro, not sure what the advantage of MBL is over ABL.

16. gearmesh

I vote for these in this order.
    1st. RC6 Hybrid Dual Titan Mirrored ABL
    2nd. RC6 Hybrid Dual Titan ABL
    And as soon as the Dual Titan is proven:
    3rd. RC6 Dual Titan Mirrored ABL

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The Dual Titan would be not mirrored, 1 is left and 2 is right just as the V1.0 dual...

18. gearmesh

Whoops, of course. That was my sloppy cutting and pasting and edits.

19. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks I will have a look and correct it...