what happened on this print?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Things were going fairly well, and then tried this print with the same settings. PLA, Temp 210, Bed 40, sliced at high quality in S3D. Everything was the same as other moderately successful prints, and then this thing came out. Looks like it is encased in something with all this horizontal stringing.

[​IMG]

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Wow. It's not a Space Marine. It's a Space Marine's Mummy :)

So. At first sight, it looks like over-extrusion of one form or another. The original slicer had an extra restart distance setup which then would extrude extra material after each retraction. That model has a lot of retractions, so over time that could a lot of extra material. Adding to the problem, you went into 0.1mm resolution, so that extra restart distance, which was sort of OK for 0.25 layers is suddenly massively over the top for 0.1 layers. Some of the areas are small, meaning the hot end sits in all that exra material, then when it moves, it's all very plastic and moves with the head.

Definitely switch off extra restart distance whatever you do. Make sure you've got no z lift (just more time to ooze). Make sure your flow is right, whether you want to do with esteps or flow control (or extrusion multiplier even) is up to you - they all amount to the same thing - total filament pushed to the head.

Would recommend printing that model a little more granular too at first. It's a heck of a long print. With the right settings though, it could be totally awesome. And then, when you're done, there's all that fun removing the support. Come to think of it, this would be an idea place to use some soluble support.

3. Henry feldman

Thanks, I will try all that (I had left everything at defaults except manually placed supports). I figured I would get better at single, then go to dual projects (I have the scaffold material).

4. Henry feldman

@Spoon Unit thanks for the help. Way improved (not 100% but at least 95%). really hard to photograph clear PLA (need to change up the spool, but that sounds like work!)

[​IMG]

Spoon Unit likes this.
  5. Spoon Unit

Good job! Not bad at all that.

Yeh, not only tough to print, but tough to assess where to go next or whether you're about done with that picture. I think this model, at that size, is testing not just the BB, but the whole method of printing. Feels like wall to wall soluble support together with a 0.25mm nozzle would be the right way to get the best results. Definitely one to come back to.

6. Henry feldman

Yeah, one of my programmers asked if I could print it for him, so at least thanks to you I now understand the whole volume of plastic vs. resolution is not managed by S3D... Now I'm printing a large rocket, to see how tall things work, so much to learn (and only like 100 variables to manage in S3D!) and I haven't even attempted dual yet...

7. Spoon Unit

Right. This is not an easy sport. But it is very rewarding as you begin to get things right and get great results. There's always something new to learn though, I just returned to a dual print wondering how it was doing. As it happens, it was not doing well. Problem? The filament had become tangled on the spool and had finally sort of knotted itself. End result, my print looked shifted. Reason, the head had tried to move, but the knot was strong enough to beat the movement. So, the printer thought it had moved but hadn't. As I found it, the head was moving but nothing was printed. Silver lining? I noted that with stepper motors deactivated you can actually push and pull filament into/out of the hot end. Potentially that a new quicker method of swapping filament. I still feel maybe that should be a controlled speed though, so as not to deposit molten filament any further up than it should be. As you say ... so much to learn.

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Well done @Henry feldman that really is a tough model to print with so much support and its size. I have to say that I section difficult models then fix them together but my stuff is engineering models so easier to handle; you might consider tilting the model and/or try pushing the overhang envelope to get less or easier support. As implied by @Spoon Unit this is currently a "black art" with a steep learning curve, particularly learning the foibles of your machine too and the liberties you can take with it

Gregory Grubbs likes this.
  9. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Hidden GW copyright protection is my guess ;)

Spoon Unit likes this.
  10. Kiwimaddog

Kiwimaddog Member

Tough one. I would say that the only way to get a ok result from a print like this is this split it up into pieces. It will require a bit of remodeling but say, Base up to knees, torso in two parts, arm and head and later glue them together. Of course, if you only have the .STL to work from this might be a bit too much work but anyway, That is what I would have done.