What is causing these holes?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Stefan, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I made a temp calibration test like this guy
    And I get this nice skyscraper.... but I did not expect to get open windows ;)
    What is causing then? They are created on layer change, it looks like the it does not complete
    the layer or starts moving one the new layer while nothing is coming out of the hotend.
    Any idea what setting to tweak?
    skyscraper.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

It looks like your retraction length is too high, are you slicing with S3D ? My retraction distance is 1.50mm (that is, with the BigBox Pro standard profile)

3. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I use Slic3r.... my tries with S3D where not really successful yet.
    Retraction.... it is st├ęt to 1.4mm and "Retract on layer change" is enabled, so I will experiment with them.
    thx

4. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

hmmm It does not look like retraction, because I tried now
    - retraction 1.4mm, without "retract on layer change" = holes
    - retraction 1.0mm, without "retract on layer change" = holes
    - retraction 0mm, without "retract on layer change" = holes and stringing
    IMG_20160415_230324.jpg IMG_20160415_230343.jpg

Could it be "under extrusion"?

Kind of same but different issue
    When I start a print I have a skirt (2 rounds), but when I print small stuff like this 20x20mm thing the plastic does start coming out of the extruder after the skirts and the 80% of the first perimeter... so the first layer does not have a perimeter.
    I have this start g-code from git of Alex9779 here but adapted the variables to slicer.
    Is this normal for small prints? Do I just have to add more rounds for small prints?

5. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Temp too low or partial clog perhaps?

6. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Try these simple settings, they work for me.

Attached Files:

Stefan likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I do not thing it is a temp problem since this is printed with variable temps, see the zone on the image.
    And it is deninitly on layer change, I observed a lot.
    skyscraper.jpg
    Clogging... I do not know. I printed with Kick2box profile and it does not really look different except thee hole are smaler due to the smaller layer of 0.25 compare to my 0.3.
    hole 0.25.jpg
    But the print without filament was even worse, now there was no filament until 30% of the 1st layer...

IMG_20160416_093718.jpg

Then I did a FW upgrade... I think I was on RC3ish to RC5 from Alex9779 and by accident printed the same gcode with Kick2Box profile with the 2nd Extruder and then again with the 1st Extruder but both have holes.
    one the Positive side the "no filament issue" is gone.

IMG_20160416_111418.jpg IMG_20160416_111400.jpg

maybe it is the Extruder steps ..... to be continue

Or is this normal?

8. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

btw Thx for sharing :D

9. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Do you hear any odd sounds comming from the extruder, my old crappy extruder makes a thunk sound when it slips on the filament and looks kind of like this. When it slips it under extruds and looks a bit like this.

If that's whats happening yoy may want to take a look and your tension arm make sure is pressing firmly on the filament.

10. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

The sclic3r profile does not affect the gcode and has nothing to do with the firmware, you must slice again. If you use the perl script, take care to adjust the extruder steps in start and toolchange section, these are the values for my printer.

11. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Ok maybe I was not clear here, I sliced a new gcode file from the stl, with your slicer profile... so It should make new gcode. I printed then this new gcode 3 times, 1 rc3 left extruder, rc5 right extruder(black) and rc5 left extruder. And of cause I leveled the bed and corrected the extruder steps.
    I removed the perl script, d10, d11 and the 2nd extruder.
    I have already enough trouble with 1 Extruder..... and now again with bed leveling, bed adhesion, but thats a other story

12. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

@Stefan, have you solve the issue with the holes ? I have the same result as yours. What I can think about is the file itself. Is it possible that the design is too thin ? Tomorrow I would like to try the shell with 2.

13. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

No I did not solve it yet. Yes it is a thin thing but I believe this is not the problem.
    When watching the video on thingiverse and this image from another guy who printed it http://www.thingiverse.com/make:130297 it does not show holes. So the quest continues...
    But mine was interrupted by strange mesh leveling behavior with "Alex977 RC5 Dual Geek" FW.
    So have to go back the BB RC3... or I read BB RC4 is out :) Lot's of adventure lies ahead... that's the pleasure of having a new model :)