What is the maximum extrusion volume

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by yoorek, Feb 26, 2016.

1. yoorek

yoorek Member

Hi,

Just a quick question. What is the maximum extrusion volume in mm3/sec for E3DV6 and for Volcano?

I remember reading somewhere that there is a limit of 8-10 mm3/sec (in general, not just for E3DV6).
    I know about the calculation (nozzle size * layer height * print speed). I've created a spreadsheet that shows me what are the safe speed for given layer height and nozzle size. So far I have not been able to achieve this level of extrusion (10 mm3/sec).

Apart from high speed printing (which my delta is capable of) I run a simple test - given the filament size of 1.75mm, I should be able to push the filament into the air so to speak at the rate of 4.15mm/sec. This I have not been able to achieve. The highest I could go without extruder grinding through the filament was 2.5mm/sec which gives me the extruded volume of 6.01mm3/sec.

The calculation for that is - Pi * (filamentSize / 2)^2 * feedRate
    where Pi = 3.14159 and feedRate is expressed in mm/sec

Any thoughts on this?

#1 yoorek, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  2. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Not quite sure if you compute the volume per minute or per second now. With the given data, I get 6 microliters per second, 360 µl / min = 360 mm³ / min.

Cheers,
    U.

3. yoorek

yoorek Member

Volume is in mm3/sec. I've already edited my original post. My bad. :-(

4. yoorek

yoorek Member

BTW which head do you get that with? Standard E3DV6 or Volcano? And which nozzle size. What is the maximum extruder feed rate in mm/sec you are able to get?

5. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

I get that from my old trusty pocket calculator, an HP 41CX. And brain v.0.62, latest beta version.

yoorek likes this.
  6. yoorek

yoorek Member

ROFL

This however does not answer my original question :(
    I am trying to setup my delta and would like to know how much filament other people are able to push through the hot end. I have no reference point as this is my first E3D head.

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Best you can hope to do is about 15mm^3/sec on v6, and about 40mm^3/sec on Volcano.