What's your highest volumetric flow?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by lance, Oct 3, 2016.

1. lance

lance Well-Known Member

so ive been printing some production parts on my bigbox and have been trying to crush print times as much as possible with them. my bigbox is running a direct drive titan and a 0.8mm volcano. with 300 micron layers, 0.8mm nozzle at 70mm/s im getting 16.8mm3/s. just wondering what other people out there are getting so i can see what i can push the bigbox to do.

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

That's pretty good. I've been up there too, working with PETG (Colorfabb XT), but not without difficulties.

The problem I had was that that filament would ooze and my parts had lots of holes for bolts in them which necessitated the extruder jumping around all over the place during printing. The combination would lead to nasty buildups on internal features, artefacts on the outside of the print and stringing.

The best solution for all of this was printing fast. Butt still hoping that when I next give this a go there will be a solution in the retraction settings. Back then I hadn't realised that these settings were limited in firmware which had to be sorted before fiddling in the slicer. ;-)

Another thing I noticed was that the aforementioned bolt holes were systematically smaller when volcanoing. Easily remedied in CAD. With the new Sock for the v6 have massively upped the cooling fan and this has generally reduced inner diameters. Optimistic that when the Volcano Sock comes out this is going to revolutionise Volcano usage. Back then I was doing my best to shield the heater block from the fan but nonetheless living in terror of thermal runaway (the thermal requirement oscillate massively when you're printing at that volume rate, even without the fan chipping in) and using pathetically small amounts of airflow.

Then again, one can always just print vases and then everything is OK! ;-)

3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Depends heavily on the polymer. High flow ABS like MG94, you should be able to do 20-25mm3/sec. I've heard reports of 35mm3/sec with PLA.

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

@lance btw. you know you can generally extrude much wider than the nozzle diameter?

for example, with a 0.8mm nozzle and depending on the print I might well run it at 1 or 1.25mm... depending on the intended thickness of walls in a part, for example.

I reckoned that was the way to get huge volumetric flows, rather than going above 40-50 mm/s print speed.

5. lance

lance Well-Known Member

we are printing production parts we designed and they were designed to be printed with the 0.8mm nozzle as they are 1.6mm thick, so we cant make the layers any wider. the parts are mostly all just 2 perimeters and thats it.