SOLVED Where is the latest firmware (BB Dual) and how to flash

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Ray, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have searched through the forums for Firmware and RC4 however didn't get anything back that looked like what I was after, I am sure I had read somewhere that the RC4 was now available.

I was hoping to get rid of the crashing of Marlin when turning the knob too quickly and any other fixes that a later firmware may bring, my questions are:

1. Which/whose firmware is currently the recommended version to use
    2. Where do I get the latest pre-compiled firmware
    3. What mechanism is best to use to flash the firmware (I have OctoPrint/Raspberry PI installed)
    Thanks in advance

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

The R4 firmware is on dropbox only for this moment. It's on
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54348751/RC4-hybrid.zip

As far as I know it is still in testing phase, the official version is still RC3 and is on GitHub.
    You can flash the firmware direct and via Octoprint. But I prefer the direct method, since flashing via Octoprint is adding an extra point of failure. The only thing is, you have to disconnect the USB connector between the Rumba and the Pi.

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Ray - don't use this! The firmware above is for the hybrid carriage, I believe you are still on the V1 carriage.

4. Rob Heinzonly

Oops ! My fault ! Should have asked first..:oops:

5. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

I dont understand why everybody is making flashing the firmware so difficult.

I just use the arduino IDE, open the project, download and voila 1 minute later the firmware is installed

Steven Burns likes this.
  6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it is not the "doing" in this case but the "which". We have several published firmwares, even if you exclude the ones I maintain, and each is for a certain build of the BigBox: Pro, Dual, Hybrid.
    Pro and Dual still are on RC3 with all its problems.
    Hybrid is on RC4.

7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I guess my question then is, is there a version for the BB 1.0 Dual that has all the RC4 fixes in?

OR

Is the official BB Dual 1.0 RC4 firmware going to be made available anytime soon?

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There is indeed, but not official...
    For example here RC4: https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin_BigBox_Dual/releases/tag/1.1.0-RC4_BigBox_Dual
    or here RC5: https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin_BigBox_Dual/releases/tag/1.1.0-RC5_BigBox_Dual
    or a corrected version of RC5: https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin_BigBox_Dual/releases/tag/1.1.0-RC5_BigBox_Dual_#2

Dunno, gotta ask E3D or Greg. There was only a minor change to the first RC3 for the dual, nothing since then...
    Just the quick released RC4 for the Hybrid but with bugs (configuration bugs, Marlin bugs are in any version ;)) in it at first...

9. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you Alex9779, looks like you have been busy.

I am happy to take one of your builds, however which would you recommend (whats the key differences between RC4, RC5 and RC5 corrected)?

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well RC4 is RC4, RC5 is RC5 and RC5_#2 is because the Marlin Dev did some more commits after they released RC5 but didn't do another tag...
    If you take the latest commit of the RC branch in BigBox_Dual then you have exactly that what RC is in the Marlin repo but with BigBox_Dual settings...

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am always on the bleeding edge running RCBugFix... I did run the RC5 for quite some time #2 introduced only some cosmetic and README changes...
    So If you want the current RC then take this https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin_BigBox_Dual/tree/RC
    I have a branch with Babystepping and Filament change activate here https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin_BigBox_Dual/tree/RC_AdditionalFeatures
    and an RCBugFix, manually updated, and an RCBugFix_Nightly automatically updated each night to RCBugFix...
    I have a build server running doing all this here https://jenkins.alitecs.de
    But this is all WIP... The build numbers of the build server are just counting, if you wanna know what a build is you gotta compare the commit hash with the repo...
    And the build server has not all tags and version built. I added it later when I was going for RCBugFix...

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW THIS IS ALL WITHOUT WARRANTY, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING GOING WRONG
    You can blame me for everything that is better though :D:D:D

I had strange issues sometimes when changing firmwares. At first it seemed nothing works, bed levelling acting strange and stuff. Then I load the failsafe default and save the settings again. Reboot the machine. Then all worked fine. Had this just today with the new RCBugBix_HybridDev branch...

BTW RCBugBix_HybridDev IS NOT FOR PUBLIC USE BECAUSE I BUILT MY BOX DIFFERENT THAN GREG DID (changed order of the extruders). So my X max value is different and some offsets and stuff...

13. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 you still don't have an RC4 or RC5 for the titan hybrid yet, right? Seems silly to upgrade my FW then downgrade again once I get the titan up and running...

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope sorry...
    As I am not able to test it because of my different setup. I will make a "Greg style" RCBugFix branch when I got the time to have a look at the settings...
    Maybe if I got more time i make an RC5, but maybe that will be obsolete within a week when RC6 comes out...
    And then the time is wasted because RC6 will be what I have now with RCBugFix and I just can continue with this...

I take time donations! ;)

15. Rob Heinzonly

@Alex9779 : Do you use the Arduino IDE to flash the Rumba or something else ? I'm programming in C++ on a regular basis and still use the Arduino IDE, but it think there could be better compilers.

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Locally I use Arduino on the Mac. I do not wanna fight with installing something different on the Mac. To edit I use the Atom editor bundled with PlatformIO.
    Unfortunately I didn't manage to use the compile option from there.
    For building temp build when setting something up I edit in Atom and compile with Arduino. That work without reopening the project but Arduino is not able to let you see the changes in the files but compiles them...
    For tested build I pushed I have the build server. Maybe I am going to change this and make decisions branches.
    I built a script in the RPi I start with ssh which downloads the latest build from Jenkins and flashes the firmware. So only one command to execute after pushing...

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I have one RCBugFix now with Greg's settings: https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin_BigBox_Dual/tree/RCBugFix_Hybrid and https://jenkins.alitecs.de/job/BigBox_Dual-RCBugFix_Hybrid/ for the compiled file...
    UNTESTED! This uses all of Greg's settings including ABL instead of MBL though it is now also possible to use MBL with the latest RCBugFix. I convinced the Dev somehow that it was no biggie to activate the Z_SAFE_HOME for both so we can use MBL if we like to...
    Didn't setup a branch for MBL and "Greg's build style" yet. Tell me if you want to, but it is not hard to modify yourself, the settings should be fine just disable ABL and activate MBL.
    In the branch I am using I moved the safe home spot closer to the front left to get the homing faster... But again this branch is for a mirrored setup of the hotends! (branch BigBox_Dual-RCBugFix_Hybrid_Dev)

I finally decided I won't do an RC4 or RC5... Sorry...

#17 Alex9779, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  18. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

#18 Ray, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  19. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

No there isn't, but you'll be fine! Plenty of other people are running RC4 and 5 on non-BB printers. Alex and I have been printing on 5 without issue too.

20. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I will give it a go, I wanted to add in some features that I would like (such as filament loading), but wanted to be able to test/debug before flashing.