Where to place filament settings

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Miasmictruth, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I have always done all my filament calibration in the slicing software, such as measuring the diameter of the filament and things of that nature. It seems to me that BigBox is setup to do this via the LCD changing the esteps.

Is this typical or am I miss understanding the purpose of that step? Or is the location filament calibration more of a preference.

On a side note does the original profile used for the used to slice Benchy on the SD card avalible somewhere, just curious how it was set up.

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Your slicer would have the width of the Filament set as per normal.
    The E steps is how many steps it's takes to extrude that much Filament, your old printer (like mine) probably had E steps set once and it generally worked for everything without thinking about it. The bigbox team like it a bit more precise so that's why they recommend doing the E steps validation for new Filament types.

I would recommend the new simplfy3d settings to slice with, that benchy isn't the best one to replicate :) look for the Guinea pigs guide on this forum for it.

3. Miasmictruth

Will do, I mostly wanted to look at it for shear curiosity figured I would dog for the latest and greatest too :)

I guess I can see how differnt diameter filaments could effect the mm extruded, seems a bother to have to change it two places but I can see it to try and get the best quality. I always used to just do a single walled cube and measure the wall thickness for final filament calibration.

4. Miasmictruth

We should make a printable jig for this if we really want to be accurate, it could hold a standard 6in/150mm/scale and filament guide.

If I have a chance anytime soon I will.

Also want to jig to hold a dial indicator on the print head would help make leveling as close to perfect as possible...