Which cable for heater cartridge?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Glyn, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Glyn

Glyn Member

Hi all,

I want to extend the cable that goes to the heater cartridge (24v V6) but am not sure which cable to use. Can anybody specify?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Close to the heater or at the other end?

The existing cable is some form of heat resistant stuff, but not like ptfe as it cuts too easily, and certainly isn't needed more than a few inches from the heater block. I guess the whole length is the same heat resistant stuff as it's easier and cheaper to supply that way.

3. Glyn

Glyn Member

I was thinking the other end (to the control board). I just want to extend the cable so that it reaches the control board on a relatively large printer. The wire core is silver in colour, so presumably this is aluminium? Is it OK to extend this with copper wire? Does anybody know what gauge the existing wire is?

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The wires are copper as seen through a magnifying glass, assumed tin plated. As at the far end any wire would do it does not have to be heat resistant at that end. I have no idea what gauge the wires are, I can measure and check gauge sizes tomorrow. Any slightly larger copper wire would do, tin plated or not. Make good joints as a moderate amount of current through the wires.

If you are going to solder new wire on then plain copper needs to be tinned first, so plated as the original would be slightly better as will solder more quickly so less heat needed. Using a chocolate block instead is ok, just don't add solder to the wires as, as pointed out elsewhere, a screwed connection will in time work loose if wires coated in solder (thicker than the existing tin plate that is).

Glyn likes this.
  5. Webdad

Webdad Member

I've got the same question. My currently plan is to use butt splice connectors and 22awg stranded wire to extend to the control board.

Any thoughts on that?

6. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I usually start around 22 awg and see if it's good enough since it's a convenient all-purpose size to keep on hand. Stranded copper 22 gauge wire has a resistance something like 0.054 ohm/meter. What's the resistance of your hot-end?
    If it's a 30 watt 12 volt one, R=V^2/P= 4.8 ohms.
    If it's a 30 watt 24 volt one, R=V^2/P= 19.2 ohms.
    So, assuming a meter or so lead length, 22 awg is a tiny fraction of the overall circuit resistance and should be fine. Going a little thicker to 20 awg won't hurt. You can probably get away with 24 awg which is about 0.084 ohms/meter, but personally I find 24 gauge too delicate.

#6 Ephemeris, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017