Which firmware to update to?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Miasmictruth, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I will be getting to the point of actually turning my Big Box Duel on soon.. I hope lol.

My question. I believe the current defualt firmware is outdated. Currently there are probably over a half dozen threads about tweaking or fixing things.

Is there a commonly agreed upon firmware that I should upgrade to before turning on my Big Box? Or a list of fixes I need to peronaly implement and upload?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Miasmictruth

Cool thanks, what all have you customized?

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

It is based on the RC4 Marlin. Enabled Babysrepping and Filament Change. Some minor changes for using a different PIN as LED PIN...
    Note to myself: have to update the readme and maybe make a "normal" branch...

5. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 git hub question.... as I understand you forked(?) the original Marlin repo, so when they fix something you can merge the fix with your repo and have your (the BB ) changes in when you compile it.
    So when I want some additional changes I could fork yours into mine and I could have original Marlin fixes and your after you merged and the mine too?

btw Why don't we have 10mm Z axis move? and why does BB do not use Reprap / Marlin defaul baud rates? I get it 230400 is a 2x115200 so its kind of logic besides that these values are now a day basic random numbers.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Stefan yeah that is correct. You can fork mine, do whatever you want in the branches but it is good practice not to touch the branches which are already there but to create new ones for what you do.
    You can then pull the changes from the so called upstream branches, real Marlin is upstream for me, for you my repo will be upstream, into your repo and then merge the changes to your branches.

I mentioned this earlier somewhere here that I am not pleased with the stock firmware repos because they are not forked from the Marlin. So moving changes from Marlin to the BB repo could be annoying... Especially in this stage of development we use a Marlin RC and not a final version it is likely that we want to update the firmware frequently at least until Marlin reaches a final release.

7. Miasmictruth

I am apparently behind the times, when you guys talk about forking the code how does that work?.

Does it somehow compare the differences between offical release versions and then apply your unque code flavors over that?

How does updates happen without stepping on your nodifications?

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Stefan I think you forked too early. I changed the branches names and updated. Better you delete your current fork and fork it again... Won't do this again, I promise ;)

@Miasmictruth We talk about Github. Github is a platform for managing git repositories. git is a distributed version control system for source code or other files. Everyone has the complete repository, github has it too for example. If you wanna work with someone one the same code then you clone the repo, on Github you create a fork, a complete copy of the repo but in your account. There you can do what you want. If you change something you think that original author might be interested in or you make a bug fix you create a pull request. That's essentially a message telling someone else to get the changes you made from your repo and merge them back to their repo. I hope that's enough explanation. You could fill pages telling about git and open source development...

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Somehow yes, you can compare and made a request that your changes are so called pulled...

If you have a Github account you can watch my repo, then you get notified when I push changes to it or make new releases...
    As I wrote here I am trying to maintain releases as hex files ready for being uploaded to your box. For how to flash you firmware there is another thread with various options from hard to easy...

10. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 How do you know it was me :D with this huge username diff ;)
    Can I delete / sync my fork online on the website? I do not find an option for it, I found only a offline guide https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork/

OK I found delete in settings and online sync by reverse pull request

#10 Stefan, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  11. Miasmictruth

@Alex9779 thanks for taking the time to answer I know it was off topic.

So I guess my final question I will ask about that.

Sounds like if the original is modified it doesn't pull in the changes automatically, github will alert you and if you want the changes you will then have to updated it code manually?

12. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

@Miasmictruth kind of yes :) Original is changed, while Alex9779s github is watching it , he get notified, he checks and syncs his fork if he like the changes, all get notified who are watching his repo and can do the same.

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Miasmictruth @Stefan is correct. I get no direct notification but Github will tell me how many commits my repo will be off when the upstream Marlin changes. I have to pull the changes and merge them, then push them back from my local repo to the Github repo...

14. Miasmictruth

O.O glad you understand it, I like to dabble in programming but think I will leave it up to you for now lol.

15. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

mike01hu likes this.
  17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

18. Stigern

Stigern Well-Known Member

Which firmware for a Pro non dual?

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There are four published release for the RC5 now. Two for Dual, two for Pro.. Names should be self-explanatory...

mike01hu and Stigern like this.
  20. Stigern

Stigern Well-Known Member

Thanks! Gonna try out the mesh leveling soon.