Which firmware to update to?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Miasmictruth, Mar 30, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

OK @Alex9779 I'm tempted by your work!

Has anyone checked the BB Pro version? (Since you're running a Dual...)

btw. if "buggyness" after stopping a print is linked to the way it is stopped and can be prevented by using a proper script, is it not possible to attach such a script to a menu option in the LCD, perhaps even to replace the current "stop print" menu option?

#21 R Design, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 Thanks again tonight's the night I finally start to moving things. The last version RC5 I am assuming is go to go then?

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I flashed RC5 and did some prints. Works as intended.
    I can't guarantee for anything :D

4. Miasmictruth

No worries, I am a controls engineer I am well aware there are no guarantees lol.

Thanks for your hard work :)

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

No the current Marlin can't do something like that with out hacking some of the commands. There is a clone of Marlin not usable on the BB I think where you can place file on the SD which are run before after or on a cancelled print. But that's not a feature of the current Marlin we use...

6. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 I have noticed after the Auto Home sequence your Geek firmware does not home to x5 y5 z4 it seems to sit at 0 0 0 . Is that intended? Also the X Y and Z seem to be flashing constantly?

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did not check that maybe the remove that... Can't test at the moment, my box is kinda disassembled to fit the new head and to do the "all cables pluggable" thing.

I realized that too but this was already in RC4 when nothing moves. I think it is indication that the stepper is deactivated. Try to move an axis in the prepare menu and then have again a look and check is that axis is flashing...

8. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Still flashing when printing. I wont touch the code until I have read a bit more into it. Are there release notes for your version? Just wondering what the Bed Z option does? It's working great though.

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I did not anything special. RC4 had release more. RC5 none so far...

10. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

When I upgrade the firmware to either of your rc5's I get a "err:MaxTemp" message displayed on my screen - and have to revert back to stock firmware - do you know what could be the cause of this? (I have a bigbox pro - my rumba board is faulty tho as it won't heat up the bed - Ive contacted support about this issue)

11. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Does your Printer work with the stock (RC3) Firmeware? because a FW upgrade does not fix not working printers, it only fixes small issues and improves functionalities.

A other user had the "err:MaxTemp" too, his problem was that the heated bed was not / wrong connected to the Rumba.

12. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Yes it works ONLY with stock firmware - thats why I'm wondering what the issue is with the rc5 versions - when on them it displays all temps as 0. Currently back on stock and printing with pla on a zebra plate

13. Miasmictruth

@Alex9779 thanks your firmware is working great, printed a benchy last night.

I am guessing the MAXTEMP fault is because there is no second PT100 on a pro, is there an easy way to disable those faults for the second extruder?

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Miasmictruth you can only deactivate the second extruder/temp sensor in the firmware...
    I would not use the pro because of the extended movement range that could crash your head...

15. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

1. How would I go about deactivating the second extruder and temp sensor - what am I looking for in the code to comment out?

2. Would installing the dual firmware instead still work even if there is no second sensor?

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually it is enough to deactivate the second temp sensor for the dual firmware to run with a defect second sensor. When I received my box the bed was damaged so I deactivated the temp sensor for the bed.
    But to completely deactivate it you just have to set two settings in 'Configuration.h':
    Code:
    #define EXTRUDERS 2
    to
    Code:
    #define EXTRUDERS 1
    and
    Code:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 20
    to
    Code:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
    It depends on what you really do. If you unplug the sensor but have the app board still connected you can use it because without a sensor the amp board gives a valid value to the RUMBA, I dunno know exactly which temp then is read but I think it will work.
    If you unplug the amp board then you will get a MAXTEMP error...

17. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Just went through your "BigBox_Pro_MeshBedLeveling" only thing that needed changing was changing:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 20

to:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0

Presumably why it was causing the error. Once my current print is done I will try to flash and see how it goes.

18. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

@Syko_Symatic @Alex9779 I've flashed the RC5 Dual Geek version and I too see that after autohome it stops at 0,0,0 and doesn't move to 15,15,4. During the bed leveling, it autohomes and doesn't move to the first mesh point until you turn the lcd knob, after that it works as expected.....but it starts at z=0 not z=4.

I had a quick try of babystepping z last night but it doesn't give any feedback on the lcd - I didn't notice it moving the z during the print but I was having other issues at the time and haven't gone back to try it properly.

Currently printing something using this firmware - I'll see tomorrow morning how it has turned out.

19. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Still gives me the same error, anything else I should be modifying in the code?

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Paul Seccombe will have a look into it. My machine should be ready today.

@Acapella no idea at the moment sorry.