Which slicing software ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Sylvain, May 7, 2020.

1. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

Hi

Which slicing software do you advise for Tool Changer ? Or which slicer is recommended by E3D for for Tool Changer Slicing ?

Thanks

Best regards

Sylvain

2. Beat

Beat Active Member

You just beat me to it buy a couple of hours :D I was going to ask the same question.
    I currently use Cura 4.6 for the TC primarily, mostly because I want to use the ironing option. It works ok, but has some quirks with respect to multimaterial, is a rather unwieldy in general and extremely sluggish at times. I'm more familiar with S3D 4.1, which I find logically structured (well... more or less), but support and development seem almost non-existent these days and version 5 has been elusive for a long time. I tried Slic3r/PruseSlicer a little, but haven't really got the hang of it yet. And unfortunately, it looks like PathioXYZ has died in its infancy :(...

Michael Pearson likes this.
  3. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

I started using Simplify3D.
    That works. But I hate this complicated way of assigning the objects to a process. All the grouping, remembering names, having to enlarge the models box to see the full name, klicking around in this tiny box to choose the model parts ...
    upload_2020-5-8_1-33-56.png
    But as I said: Simplify3D in 4.1.2 works! But you have to buy it.
    And you can assign extruders to infill, support etc. - for each process.

Next I will start to use Prusa Slicer in combination with https://forum.e3d-online.com/thread...tower-generation-temp-and-pcf-managment.3695/ the optimization script @mkudzia wrote.
    From what I saw prusa slicer might be the slicer I will slice multi material models with.
    upload_2020-5-8_1-37-40.png
    The UI I see looks a bit easier for multi material...
    upload_2020-5-8_1-38-24.png
    upload_2020-5-8_1-41-16.png
    upload_2020-5-8_1-42-58.png
    But I only used that once! I dont know what problems will hunt me after learning more of it.

-> For now I still use Simplify3D for single tool prints and my old printers.
    But I will tune in my TC printer configuration and future expertise with prusa slicer.
    This post processing optimizations sound very cool.

#3 Nibbels, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Beat likes this.
  4. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

Thank you for your replies guys.

From severall years I'm working with S3D with my printers. But as said it seems there is no new development on S3D. I don't want to spare time on tuning S3D and to learn some months after that there is no new devlopment at all...

So the idea to use Prusa Slicer seduces me, as I also know this slicer. I will look more closely to the link Nibbels gave.

Regards

5. Beat

Beat Active Member

this recent article at least suggests, that S3D is still alive, but it doesn't give the slightest hint about a possible release date for S3D V5...

6. Beat

Beat Active Member

...and what about KISSlicer? It seems to have some nice features, too. (@orcinus, are you using it?)

7. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

I use plain slic3r, I can use it consistently across all my printers. I moved to it from repetier a long while ago.

My main issues with it have been with support generation, but I rarely print things that need support so it is an occasional annoyance. There is also a little bit of manual work getting multimaterial prints set up as not all parameters are settable via amf extensions, but i don't think that is slic3r specific as most people seem to be doing multi material with multiple stls and manual setup anyway.

Can we assume pathio is dead? the download links stopped working and there have been no updates, it would have been interesting to see what e3d did on the slicer front. It would be great to get some official updates on it or an interesting post-mortem. it was announced and sort of just stopped...

8. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

Thanks for your answer.
    Do you work with our without Post Processing treatment ?

9. John Meacham

With post processing but fairly minimal. The things my postprocessing script does is

Move the initial toolchange from before the start code to after the start code, so the start code can T-1 and do a z probe.

After every toolchange it does an explicit G1 with all three coordinates, because the toolchanger will forget the last position after a toolchange and slic3r won't include Z if it doesn't think it needs to change it.

Attached is my post-processing script and my start code is

;; START_BEGIN
    G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M83 ;set extruder to relative mode
    T-1
    M107
    M104 S[temperature_0] T0
    M104 S[temperature_1] T1
    M104 S[temperature_2] T2
    M104 S[temperature_3] T3
    M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature]
    M116
    G1 X150 Y100 F50000
    G30
    G29 S1
    ;; START_END

Attached Files:

10. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

In case you have a tiny Z shift after a toolchange when using RRF3.01 <= RC10 then upgrade to RRF3.01 RC11 or higher.
    https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/blob/v3-dev/WHATS_NEW_RRF3.md

11. John Meacham

The shift wasn't small, when switching from the volcano/hemera to the V6 bowden, it would still have the z offset from the hemera/volcano and just start spewing filament a few cm above the print for the rest of that layer, the next layer change it would go to the right z position for the installed tool though. Adding an explict G1 Zzzz after a toolchange would get it to the right spot. I am still on RRF 2 though, I have not made the jump to 3 yet.

12. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that Simplify3D's version 5 will require a fee from previous buyers. Surprised? Well... I just went through the extreme pain of the MacOS update to Catalina and lost a LOT of sw in the process so I'm not surprised at all. S3Ds developer has the problem of a really bad reputation for putting out updates which have more problems then previous versions so if they think they will see a windfall they will be disappointed. I for one will not bite until I KNOW it's worth it. In the meantime we all have yet to see any other slicer provide the equivalent of the multi-process power of S3D. If you never used this capability then you've been missing out. The multi process power is the only really good reason for buying it. Well... that and having a single method for all my different machines.

13. smoki3

smoki3 Active Member

So I was a very ambitious user of simplify 3d for years. Also used it for the Tool Changer.

This year I switched over to prusa slicer. And the workflow for multi color prints is much better.

I also tried curs but this doesn't work well. Cura always sent wired starting gcodes which can't be edited. For example that it send a T0 before G28.