Why is my Z movement squealing and where is my IR readout?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Gregory Grubbs, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Gregory Grubbs

Gregory Grubbs Active Member

Right so, Finally got some time to finish up the build to actually calibration yesterday with the time off, I have the BB dual and when I auto home it goes to 0,0 as I understand the dual stays there which is fine but my X Y Z offsets from the IR also show 0 0 0 so... ? and then when I turn off stepper drivers and move the printhead to the middle it shows X Y Z as --- --- --- I double checked the cable orientation and it looks good. I assume its working as there is no crashing of glass during the auto home but Im just not getting the numbers perhaps.

As for my Z movement Ive been doing my best to keep it level but Ive never yet felt its just quite right as it gives a squeal now and then when homing, so then I started using the prepare move axis Z and run it all the way down and there was much noise and resistance I did my best to stop it when it got real bossy but what did I do wrong when I installed the threading? While watching it go down it had a lot of movement in the top of the threaded bars reminiscent of Livi in one of her videos about doing up here z movement cap.

Its finally on and moving yay! I just wish it wasnt struggling quite so much. This is my first printer, I am technically proficient but also out of my depth trying to work on it though, using Livis old videos and looking for Holloways Sagely advice where I can find it.

Edit: Upwards motion seems fine but going down always sounds like a straining squeal.

#1 Gregory Grubbs, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. Gregory Grubbs

Flipped the Brass nuts so the long end is facing down, I know this is opposite to the intended but it is what it is, Pulled my lead threaded bars out and made sure I had them and the brass nuts in perfect alignment and put them back in with liberal white lithium grease and my z motion has cleared up 80% with 0 sounds on move now and no stuttering or shaking.

Still no idea why I'm not getting an IR readout though, anyone have any wise information or direction for getting that to display proper?

3. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

There is no IR readout on the display. It acts like a switch, after homing it's without further function. When homing, the software sets the coordinates to zero, and after that the display is showing calculated positions depending on the moves done. As soon as you turn off the steppers, the position is lost and the printer doesn't know where it is anymore. The function you describe is completely like it should be.

4. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Must source some lithium grease, what's its normal application (i.e. who would stock it)?

5. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Trader of bikes or motorbikes, for example.

6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Home Depot, lowes, auto parts stores, and I got the one off Amazon someone suggested.

7. Gregory Grubbs

It would never show the readout though, UNTIL it was off and I moved the Y axis quickly quick enough to generate power to the LCD display, after that happened and I auto homed I started seeing the offset, my problem was that the offset would never show not even when homing, now its working as intended though.

8. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Lithium grease and loctite 243 (blue) sorted. E-steps calibrated and dodgy stepper driver replaced. Now if I can only get the Z offset sorted I think we might be wining.

My Z movement squeeled like mad before I applied the lithium. Now its smooth as silk.

Gregory Grubbs likes this.