Why is the power switch on the back?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Duncan Chivers, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Duncan Chivers

Duncan Chivers Well-Known Member

I realise that I can just plug it into a switched extension lead or something like that, but seriously, with a device that is designed to be repeatedly turned off and on, why would you put the power switch in such an awkward place?

Is it just me?

2. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

While it's designed to be switched on and off, it's not ideal to be switching on and off repeatedly, especially if you have Octoprint installed and haven't shut it down. It's also more practical to have the power cable coming out of the back of the printer, and usually you would have the main switch next to it.

A few people here have done something like a soft-power button for the front, which I agree is a much smarter idea. At least then you wouldn't have to switch on and off the main power, but leave it in a stand-by state.

3. Duncan Chivers

I totally take your point about the power cable, and I know that ideally you wouldn't keep having to switch it on and off, but you'd have thought that having a separate switch mounted on the front would have been beneficial from the start?

Maybe I'm just venting because it has been a bit of a pain for me whilst troubleshooting! :confused:

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't mind it being on the back too much, just wish it was near one of the edges rather than in the middle. My arms are only so long.

Alex Stevenson and mike01hu like this.
  5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I put a front power switch on mine. The location is more convenient for the mains plug but a pain for short-armed ladies...

6. Duncan Chivers

Cool! Can you post a pic?

7. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

It's only annoying when troubleshooting because the reset button is hidden under the screen panel! Look in the guide section there is a change you can make for that as well.

8. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Careful Sarah, Watch out for strangers asking for pictures of your (short) arms! :D

9. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

There is a reset switch on the Rumba. The little white button right next to the socket for the X-Axis Stepper Driver.

Pierce likes this.
  10. Duncan Chivers

Lol :D

Just to confirm, I did mean the power switch!

11. Duncan Chivers

Hi Greg, out of interest was an alternative location ever considered?

12. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes.

We wanted to minimise the users involvement with mains wiring so opted for a single point for both the switch and plug. We didn't want to have mains power cables all over the place. The cable is at the rear so it is out the way.

13. Duncan Chivers

Makes sense, thanks for the reply. I think I'll be printing myself a little reset switch anyway just to make things a little easier.

Doesn't detract from my overall delight at the device itself though! :)

14. Sarah Nicholson

Here you go...

[​IMG]

The smaller red button is a reset switch which also comes in very handy.

15. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Nice looking printer @Sarah Nicholson. I did wonder what became of the lazy suzan idea. Square works out brilliantly and approve of the little shelf: that's what the BB plastic packing does in front of mine (I used the indented rectangular piece - with the printer offset to the back - upside down so it creates a little wall around the little shelf and allows it to collect loose tools and dust!).

16. Sarah Nicholson

Thanks, the lazy susan works really well actually, I made it from two sheets of 18mm thick solid oak so it does a pretty good job of soaking up vibrations, it's also mounted on vibration absorbing feet. There's a cable hole through the middle so I can spin the BB round 360 degrees quite happily which makes filament loading etc much easier.

The tray idea is pretty clever, at some point I need to get my volcano mounted and print out some tool organisers. Hopefully the nightmare project which has consumed all my work time and pretty much all my weekends and evenings for the last 3 months will be calming down soon and I can get some more printing done, have a backlog of projects to tackle.

17. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

18. Sarah Nicholson

19. Duncan Chivers

That looks great @Sarah Nicholson , it puts my work area to shame!

Did you re-site the power and reset switches during the build, or have you amended it since you finished?

20. Sarah Nicholson

I did it afterwards, but I was doing some rewiring anyway to add connectors to the hotend cables so I can switch things out without opening the base up since that's a total PITA.
    The power switch is wired between the IEC socket and the PSU, and takes the power for the LEDs straight from the PSU (the switch LEDs are rated for 24V). The reset switch is a bit of a hack really, I soldered some thin wire to the back of two legs of the the tactile reset switch on the LCD PCB then just ran the cables to a momentary switch I had lying around in my parts box. I'm pleased with the result though, although the LEDs on the switch are incredibly bright.