Why no black collet with Titan?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Jarrett, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I have been trying to solve an issue of all my prints failing due to the filament grinding, and this has been something I have been wondering. Not only is it really hard to get the filament to go into the PTFE tube coming out of the hotend while loading, but it seems like it would be more likely to cause issues.

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I had a similar alignment problem in the early days that was attributed to not having cut the correct length of PTFE tube; it must be exact. You do not say if the filament is jamming but I assume it is; this can be caused by too large a retraction, which should be kept to less than 2mm. A short PTFE tube does not help this as it can leave a gap between the heated block and heat break that melted filament can be drawn back into, where it cools and causes jamming.

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I did cut it to the exact length of 83mm (twice actually since I thought the first one was too short but it ended up being the same). Can you by chance post a picture of what yours look like just so I can compare? I did just finally get a completed print, though that has some issues I am going to address in a separate post.

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I created a post a while ago on making the ptfe tube flat (it's curved as supplied) countersinking the end receiving the filament, running a drill bit through in case how it was cut restricts the inner diameter, cutting absolutely square with a very sharp knife etc. All these things and more affect how the filament passes (or not) through the tube

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't do, as it's all assembled and in use. @Old_Tafr 's comments are helpful. On the grinding issue, you may need to increase the hob tension but you will need to provide a bit more information on your BB type, firmware, filament, nozzle size etc. for someone to make a better judgment.

6. Michael Frampton

Michael Frampton Well-Known Member

Greg cut my titan feed tude off 60mm above the titan..excellent idea..when it retracts it just lifts the outer tube rather than having to push all the filament back thru the tube...also very easy to prime the extruder..as if its been sat idle at working temp,most of the filament in the nozzle will of dripped out.so when the motor starts theres a cavity to fill and no extrusion takes place for a good 10 seconds

Pipshag and cez like this.
  7. Michael Frampton

Michael Frampton Well-Known Member

Temp to low maybe.Makes it difficult for filament to pass thru.