Why to all Simplfy3D profiles I can find have 0.4 nozzels?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Stefan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I'm the only only one with 0.25 nozzels? (BB Dual)

2. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

.4 nozzles are like the industry standard or go to for nozzles size. Ultimaker came out with their interchangeable nozzle system. But to answer your question I am sure there are a few people using smaller nozzles but due to print times and the decent quality with a .4 nozzle most use that.

3. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

OK I get it.... defacto stardart... but why do the BB profiles have 0.4?

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

So where's the problem? Just enter you fitted nozzle size.
    The extrusion width is set to auto in the profiles, if you set it to a manual value then edit it accordingly.
    And you have to fit your layer height to something reasonable for you nozzle size...
    Only problem that can occur is mostly with the first layer height and width. This might need some test prints and tuning but that's all...

5. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

ya I am curious too, are you having problems, or are you just pointing out that no one uses .25 nozzles?

6. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Stefan, you should become a bit more experimental, audacious, adventurous! - Don't stick too fast to any preformatted settings. In the world of rapid prototyping, everything is variable, constants in the first place!
    Just dive into the options and settings menus and discover what you can change. Then change it (with some thinking before), and see what you achieve. The older among us call it trial and error, and the even yet older ones call that what piles up in the end - experience.
    Get started today! Join the club! :)

Spoon Unit likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

:) I think I am... I did not expect to get a ready to run device. I'm just wondering why the BB is sold by default with 0.25 and the special BB S3D and slic3r profles have 0.4.
    It made my think there may be some special reason for it, and not just this is one of the default values which "everyone" knows that is must be checked/changed.

8. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Do you mean you ONLY have a 0.25 nozzle and no 0.4? If so that's probably a mistake

9. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Apart from a possible mixup of nozzles (unless you have intentionally opted for 0.25 ones, like I did), I consider the BB, although still resting in parts here, as a mature product, compared to S3D.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think that is correct. The normal size is 0.4. There was that Kickstarter stretch goal where we were able to choose an additional nozzle of a self-choosen size. So maybe you selected 0.25 in the questionnaire?
    Maybe it is a bit distracting that the additional nozzles are in separate bags each one having a label and the normal ones are just in the hotend bags...

11. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

hmmm.... now we getting to it :D I installed the nozzles in the hot end box... did not check if they have a size on the bag... in the Strech Box there are 2x 0.25 "spare" nozzles and on the BB web page I did not find the default size yet. http://bigbox-3d.com/features ther is a "Highly accurate extrusion" paragraph which talks about 0.25 and ...I.... just scanned the page an it made Ding at 0.25 since I have two spare in the strech box....
    So I came to the conclusion I have a default BB Dual and it has 0.25 a default. so the 0.4 surprised me....

This could explain my terrible S3D experience last evening... wanted to print a filament cutter and the BB reset button but 50% of the first layers did not stick to the bed. :(

But then with a default 0.4 nozzle.... my print of a missing spool bearing holder fixing part went surprisingly well with Slic3r and 0.25.... I have to count the dots on the installed nozzles to be sure what I have installed right now.

12. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

So........should the Dual come with 2 "spare" .25 nozzles? I only had 1!

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine came with 2...

14. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member